At least he tried to get an answer!

TOPCAT® 14:44 31 Jan 2003

This is an extract from Hansard. The debate was on about rural proofing government policy legislation, when this MP tried gallantly to bring rural broadband roll-out into it. He failed at the first hurdle!! TC.

Mr. Bob Blizzard (Waveney): When my right hon. Friend next does some rural proofing, will he rural-proof the roll-out of broadband? The rural parts of my constituency simply do not have access to broadband, which is crucial to developing the kind of new small businesses that are vital to regenerating the rural economy. For a long time, my constituency suffered poor transport infrastructure with narrow, winding roads. It seems now that the same is happening with the electronic roads ....

Mr. Speaker: Order. The Minister should not answer that question; it was far too wide.

Mr. Colin Breed (South-East Cornwall): Will the Minister give us some assistance as to what is happening at present on rural proofing for broadband?

Alun Michael: May I answer both that question and the one put by my hon. Friend the Member for Waveney (Mr. Blizzard)? The Government have recognised the importance of broadband and the need to rural-proof the delivery of broadband in this country. I am pleased by the way in which colleagues at the Department of Trade and Industry and in the rural development agencies...

Mr. Speaker: Order. Is broadband the Minister's direct responsibility?

Alun Michael: The rural proofing of it is, Mr. Speaker.

Mr. Speaker: The Minister will know that it is not legislation.

dontaskme 20:36 31 Jan 2003

it's sad to say but i completely distrust anything the government says. i'd be worried if they said they were going to get broadband for rural areas. all they would do is include areas that already have broadband as rural, discount areas that aren't near an exchange and say they have improved the situation, while somehow making it worse.

too much time is spent trying to make the other parties look bad instead of actually doing anything.

I agree though, at least he tried.

Forum Editor 10:35 01 Feb 2003

a political forum, so I've deleted the several responses that contained (in some cases entirely) political comment.

Jokes or personal remarks about politicians or political parties are not necessary and not acceptable here - that way lies conflict, and possibly the libel court.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?