LCD TV WHICH ONE.........???

OQuincy360 10:49 18 Nov 2007

I am going to buy an XBOX 360(the new one with HDMI output?), so i am currently looking for a new LCD TV to maximize the experience :) i have max £700 to spend on the tv and am currently debating between 2 very nice TV's, but which one i cant decide...

1. Samsung 37R88BD
Picture Enhancement - DNIe
Contrast - 8000 : 1 (Dynamic)
Sound type - SRS Trusurround XT
Inputs - 3xHDMI, 2xSCART, 1xComponent, 1xPC
Visible Screen Size - 37"

2. LG 37LF65
Picture Enhancement - XD Engine 2007
Contrast - 5000 : 1
Sound type - Surround Max sound technology
Inputs - 2xHDMI, 2xSCART, 1xComponent, 1xPC
Visible Screen Size - 37"

I prefer the look of the samsung but have heard it is not 1080p? but the LG is, but i heard more good reviews about the Samsung... so confused can anyone help???

Thanks

Oliver

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:51 18 Nov 2007

LG screens are the same as used in B&O sets...'nuff said.

G

OQuincy360 11:39 18 Nov 2007

B&O???

Totally-braindead 12:41 18 Nov 2007

Bang and Olufsen.

Stuartli 14:46 18 Nov 2007

There are other important factors to take into account other than the panel's manufacturer...:-)

B and O may look nice, but I wouldn't buy one; a large part of the reason is on the question of price.

Forum Editor 15:44 18 Nov 2007

a company of Bang & Olufsen's repute isn't going to use just any old screens, and GANDALF <|:-)>'s right - if it's good enough for them it's probably good enough for you.

Totally-braindead 16:19 18 Nov 2007

Mate has just bought a Samsung a 42" I think it is and the picture quality is incredible. He told me that there were 2 Samsungs available and this was the cheapest, the other one was a higher definition and another £400 I think it was. He and his wife both looked at the screens side by side and both thought the cheaper screen actually had the better picture. Why this was I do not know but thats what they both said.
Perhaps if the 2 screens were displaying high def videos the more expensive one would be better?
Kids play all there consoles on it and that looks fantastic too.

oresome 16:30 18 Nov 2007

Assuming you can see working examples of each before purchase, I would try to view them using the predominant programme source you will use at home.

The shops will normally tend to use a HD source from Sky or HD disc which will show the sets in their best light. Not much comfort if your main viewing at home is via SD analogue or freeview.

There is significant amount of signal processing of a SD source to produce a picture on a large LCD screen and the quality of this processing is as important as the actual screen manufacturer.

LCD shortcomings seem to be motion blur, poor black level, uneven screen illumination and halos around images amongst others, so watch out for these.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:08 18 Nov 2007

I bought an LG plasma so I am biased...but when I was looking around and bearing in mind that I have eyes like the proverbial toilet rat, I really could not tell a lot of difference between a £900 50" plasma and a £3000 plasma of the same size. I did prefer the picture quality of the plasmas to the LCDs though.

G

benwil 19:43 18 Nov 2007

just bought a samsung 40" after comparing several side by side: lg sony toshiba, all running the same clip. its a far better picture quality than the others. any help

Stuartli 19:50 18 Nov 2007

This link about the important features to watch out for when considering LCD and plasma televisions, including digital signal processing standards, is worth a read:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone