Latest Aldi Vid Cam Offer

six-h 21:09 25 May 2007

Anyone seen this?
Worth buying, likely pic quality?
I've got a Traveler 5.25 meg Snap camera and been very pleased but vid leaves a lot to be desired.

six-h 19:22 27 May 2007

Guess that's a No then!

anchor 13:44 28 May 2007

You might have had some response if you had given a link to this item.

Having just looked on the Aldi site I see no reference to it. I assume "vid" means video.

Arnie 14:40 01 Jun 2007

"vid leaves a lot to be desired"

Of course it does. It is no different to a standard fixed picture digital camera.

These manufacturers make the camera look like a camcorder, but in essence they are simply digital cameras.

A reasonable digital camcorder will cost around £200 - £250 or so.

Stuartli 14:39 02 Jun 2007

six-h, from what I read, is referring to a digital camera that's capable of taking short movies.

As this is done at comparatively low resolution, it's not surprising that video leaves a lot to be desired...:-)

Stuartli 14:42 02 Jun 2007

A number of recent digital cameras sold by Aldi have been Traveler branded.

Stuartli 14:46 02 Jun 2007

I would assume that the video camcorder to which six-h refers is not longer listed on the Aldi website as it was a recent special offer - these are updated twice a week and available from Sundays and Thursdays.

Arnie 00:35 03 Jun 2007

I’m sorry, I should have been more succinct.

I was implying that most fixed picture digital cameras nowadays, will produce a recorded movie.

These can range from poor to very good imaging.
The length of the recorded movie will depend on how much data the installed memory card will carry.
Also, the camera user will have to decide on the recorded still/movie ratio.

It is so easy to get carried away with recording an interesting event, only to find that there is very little memory left to use the camera’s prime function of taking still images.

As I mentioned previously, some camera makers (usually the bandwagon merchants) are producing a standard camera and kidding people into believing it is a camcorder.
Yes, it may take movies but it is essentially a standard digital camera.
A true camcorder will take single frame shots if required, but they are not marketed as digital cameras.

As an addendum, another ploy used by a few camera manufacturers, is to use interpolated figures to produce a higher pixel count in their advertising material.

Arnie 00:42 03 Jun 2007

six-h did title his posing as: Latest Aldi "Vid" Cam Offer.

Presumably Vid is video camera?

Stuartli 16:11 03 Jun 2007

Thanks for your replies.

I have been using film and digital cameras for around 57 years so have a pretty good idea of what it's all about...:-)

If I remember correctly, the Aldi video camera was styled something on the lines of the Aiptek models such as:

click here

But I could be wrong...:-(

A similar camera has been advertised in the national Press this weekend for £20, but it doesn't have a TFT screen as a viewfinder, only a rectagular cutout in the fold back section...:-)

Arnie 23:14 03 Jun 2007

"I have been using film and digital cameras for around 57 years so......"

You must be an old timer Stuartli like me.
The very first camera I owned was an Agfa Silette, a 6X6cm rollfilm model, bought in Germany during my RAF service.

I visit our local Maplin store regularly and I know the camera you mentioned.
I have often searched for info on some of these obscure names and there isn't much of it around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?