laptopsdirect.co.uk won't repay cost of returning faulty item

lawyer1700 21:45 31 Aug 2014

I bought a Lenovo laptop from laptopsdirect.co.uk in January this year. It stopped working in April and I contacted the retailer on 30 April. Initially laptopsdirect tried to deny responsibility and to send me to the manufacturer, but I asserted that my contract was with the retailer. It then agreed to accept return of the laptop and sent me a message on 19 May asking me to return the item "via recorded courier, we can't be held responsible for goods lost or damaged in transit before they reach us". I packaged the item well and returned it on 28 May 2014 at a cost of £27.60 via a recorded and insured delivery service. On 9 July laptopsdirect told me that the manufacturer was waiting for a part to repair the laptop. On 5 August it left me a phone message saying that it was refunding me, but offered no explanation of why the laptop could not be repaired or replaced. The refund of the price of the item hit my bank account on 7 August. Delivery was not refunded. I emailed on 10 August to ask it to explain its phone message. I didn't get a satisfactory explanation of why it had refunded me rather than repairing or replacing. On 14 August I emailed asking for a refund of the £27.60 that it had cost me to return the faulty laptop. This £27.60 is the disputed matter. I have given laptopsdirect ample opportunities to settle this but they have been met with poor excuses or silence. Citizens Advice has told me that the courier cost is classed as 'consequential losses' and would need to be pursued through the civil courts.

HondaMan 08:40 01 Sep 2014

If you look through the various questions and answers already given in this forum, I am sure you will find the answer. FE has given very detailed information and links to official sites concerning this matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?