Laptopsdirect Customer Service / Consumer Advice

rumpole12 16:37 28 Jan 2007

Hi all,
I'm basically looking for some advice I bought a lappy from laptops direct last week and the hard drive was making some extremely loud clicking sound which then stopped. I called the manufacturer who said even though the noise had stopped, the hdd was faulty and that I should get a replacement from laptops direct. My only qualm is that the store will not replace it having read some of their customer service reports online. My initial response from the company hasnt been great as they dont like to give much away. I sent it back through their courier and I am wondering just in case they refuse to replace, if I have any rights as a consumer to demand a replacement.

The Brigadier 17:24 28 Jan 2007

Contact click here
If you bought by credit card then you are protected via your bank.

rumpole12 17:39 28 Jan 2007

unfortunately i didnt pay by credit card i paid via debit card thinking the site was good considering it has a pc pro badge plastered on it as well as their ceo having appeared on watchdog lambasting online stores that provide bad service. I will get in touch with consumer advice but I am not holding out on how effective they will be.

spuds 17:53 28 Jan 2007

click here click here

Laptop Direct may insist that you have it repaired (possibly by the manufacturer?). You are not obliged to have the laptop repaired, you can request new replacement or refund of money, especially as the item is less than six months old, and as already developed a major faulty.If you agree on a repair, then you may have difficulties in the future, should further problems arise at a later stage.

rumpole12 17:56 28 Jan 2007

ok so I have noted that if you request a refund they can take a 10% restock fee. What if they do this can I use the consumer rights issue to demand a full refund? Also in my utter stupidity I registered the product with the manufacturer before I realised there was an issue with the item. Will this affect my rights to a refund?

spuds 19:05 28 Jan 2007

No they cannot take a 10% restocking fee, that is totally illegal, and they can be fined for doing this. Some retailers may try to make a charge by saying handling or administration. Utter rubbish, don't stand for it, unless the fault was perhaps due to your neglect. In this case a faulty hard drive, which the manufacturer stated as faulty, is the retailers problem.

You can demand a 'full' refund, no costs or any charges to you whatsoever.The item is faulty, and you should bear no costs at all.

Registering with a manufacturer is an additional incentive, it as no bearing on your entitlements under UK consumer law. The retailer is solely responsible for the products that they sell within the first twelve months at least. The first six months, its for the retailer to prove that the item was 'fit for the purpose', after the first six months things become a little more difficult in perhaps proving liability for a claim.

rumpole12 19:15 28 Jan 2007

Well i appreciate the advice I think the first thing I am going to do tomorrow is contact consumer advice and then take it from there I will keep you updated tomorrow as to what has happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?