Laptops - warning about HD sizes

sheila.weston 17:26 22 Jan 2009

I have just bought a Toshiba L350-171 which was advertised as having a 250Giga Hard disk. I imagined that this would be large enough for my 100Giga of data.

It now transpires that the Hard Drive is partitioned into two drives and that the actual amount of space for my data is only about 110 giga. I have been in touch with John Lewis's support line and they say that manufacturers do not have to put anything about partitions in the specifications. This seems extremely misleading. All 'they' can suggest is to keep my image files on an external hard drive, but if I had know about this I would have bought a laptop with much larger storage. Grrr....

Apart from this, the Toshiba, with its 17" screen is lovely to use.

BJN 17:39 22 Jan 2009

Well try a program that can resize your partions like Partion Magic, you should be able to make your HD into one partion add addtional partions or resize exsisting partions.

It's an easy program with graphics to show changes and has helpful wizards to help you.

Bj

tullie 17:49 22 Jan 2009

It seems common practise to have a partitioned drives these days,though if the drive fails you lose it anyway,better saving to external drive.

anskyber 18:23 22 Jan 2009

...a solution.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:52 22 Jan 2009

Why can't you save data in both partitions or am I missing teh obvious here?

G

sheila.weston 20:22 22 Jan 2009

Yes, Gandalf, I think that I may have to try this. Or use the external HD option, BUT I have just seen anskyber's note on my other thread, pointing to click here. and related pages. Very many thanks. I think that I may be able to do this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?