Laptops Recommended?

Welsh_Chris 00:09 03 Jan 2009

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm a bit daunted by all the choices out there so was wondering if anyone could help!

I'm a student, so the laptop needs to be fairly portable with a decent battery life and hard drive (250GB+) and I use my laptops to watch DVDs (I'm not too interested in Blu-Ray movies, but if its included it'd be a nice bonus). I'd also like something fairly quick since my current laptop is very slow!

I've had a bad experience with Toshiba's customer service so wouldn't like to get another of theirs, but that aside I'm open to suggestions.

curofone 01:03 03 Jan 2009

You did not say a budget, but i reckon this is probably one of the best deals on the market it at the moment click here.

If i was you i would forget about blu-ray as I have persoanlly only ever seen them on 17"+ screens(i am sure someone will correct me on that) and when you start going to that size screen they are less portable, screen requires more power so battery life is a bit less. Also you said 250gb+ for the the HDD, i would stick at 250gb, laptop hard drives only really go up to 320gb unless you want to pay quite a lot more and even machines with 320gb drive seem to be quite price (but they tend to have other specs that warrant that price)

Welsh_Chris 02:14 03 Jan 2009

Hi,

A friend recommended HP laptops too, so I'm glad there's some consensus!

My budget is £600 at the top end, so that deal would leave me with some spare. Is it worth spending a bit more?

Thanks for your help!

curofone 12:08 03 Jan 2009

Is it worth spending more? well that is it up to you to decide, if you want something that is for your studies and is well built and will last you for quite a few years to come this hp will easily do that job, if you want a few of the extra features that you have spoken about like blu-ray, 320gb hard drive and almost certainly a 17" screen with that spec than yes.

The only laptops i would recommend to my friends are Sony's and HP's, they tend to cost a bit more than the likes of acer and fujitsu but they will generally last a lot longer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?