Laptops and graphics cards advice needed

Chris Sandy 21:05 09 Jan 2005

I have been reading the other messages posted re buying a laptop and wondered if anyone could give me a little advice. I dont have a large budget but would like to get a laptop with decent performance, a good graphics card (for gaming) a DVD RW and a floppy disk drive (does this normally have to be an external drive?)

Was looking on the Dell site at a InspironTM 5160. Looks pretty good, a little unsure if the 32 or 64 mb graphics card options will be up to games?.

Taran 21:22 09 Jan 2005

Most of the latest games require a bare minimum of a 64mb graphics card, with quite a few requiring 128mb cards.

Laptops, for the most part, are not that great for gaming - especially if your budget is limited.

Only the high end machines tend to carry the best graphics cards and that more or less rules out gaming for a budget.

Others may have a better idea for laptop gaming, but in general I'd have said that most notebooks will not be up to the task, and those that are will normally carry a price penalty.

TomJerry 21:47 09 Jan 2005

for laptop game. It will handle most game, may be nt highst setting for some games.

graphics chip is more important than graphic memory

dell's price is very good

have a look similarly priced Acer click here, click here

TomJerry 21:51 09 Jan 2005

ACER ASPIRE 1681LCi M 715 1.5Ghz 512MB(2x256) 60GB CDRW/DVD 15.0TFT 802.11g XP Home LX.A2705.011 £729 click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017