Laptop questions and recommendations

Loll_l 16:13 15 Aug 2007

I am a trade plate driver so I drive a number of different cars over long distances... I need a music player that will enable me to listen to mp3 and wma's whilst in these cars. I don't like wearing headphones or earplugs so will require something with loudspeakers.

As I am moving round and switching cars a lot I need something very light and compact that will fit in my bag so I was considering an ipod with some small speakers... but... recently the PSU in my home desktop PC has started to play up so I have now decided to buy a laptop instead that will hopefully both replace/backup my home PC and also work as a mp3 player whilst I am on the move.

Before purchasing a laptop I have a few questions:

1) The last time I looked at processor speeds it was very straight forward (the last PC i bought had a Pentium 4 2.7 GHz chip)... nowadays they are listed differently (eg. Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.4GHz,4MB L2 Cache,800MHz FSB))... can somebody please explain to me the new format and how they compare with the old speeds?

2) As I am travelling round a lot it would be useful to connect to the internet whilst on the move (to get directions, check email etc)... Is there any way of connecting a laptop to the internet via a mobile phone?

3) As I will be playing music inside the car I will require very high sound quality from the laptop speakers... do such laptops exist or will I have to buy external speakers to get the best sound quality?

4) Somebody told me if I buy a laptop with Windows Vista that Vista does not allow you to connect to P2P programmes and file sharing clubs.... is this correct?

Below is a list of laptop spec's I am looking for:

- Compact and lightweight (easy to carry around whilst walking long distances)

- High sound quality so I can hear the music clearly in a car

- Very long battery life so I can play music all day

- Option to connect to internet via mobile phone (if possible)

- DVD/CD writer

Can anyone recommend the cheapest laptop that has all the above? It doesn't necessarily have to be new so if you can just give me a model number I will search on ebay.

Cheers

Loll

wjrt 16:27 15 Aug 2007

you can still buy a laptop and get a 12v 150watt inverter to plug in to car socket for power or what about something like this and an ordinary mp3 player
click here

Loll_l 16:29 15 Aug 2007

cheers for the reply mate but the problem is my GPS is using the cars power socket.

Loll_l 17:32 15 Aug 2007

plus i need a laptop as my home PC is playing up

hereford456 17:55 15 Aug 2007

A friend does roughly the same with his laptop & using a vodafone PCIMAC card installed via his laptop. But he does pay about £50-70 pounds a month for it!
Either that or using a blackberry & a pair of external speakers?
The fact you cant use the power adaptor in the car means you need a good battery life, most laptops would probably give you a max of 3-5 hours before needed a new full charge.

If your still interested in a laptop try Novatechclick here

Jimmy14 18:11 15 Aug 2007

Windows Vista does not stop you connecting to P2P networks. Some ISP's usually throttle ports to stop users downloading on P2P networks and torrent programs.

pj123 18:44 15 Aug 2007

You need something like this. I have got one and it is brilliant.

click here

Loll_l 19:00 15 Aug 2007

thanks for the suggestions but i've already looked through the alternatives and have decided i am definitely going to buy a laptop due to the fact it has many other uses and also i will need to use it when my desktop PC isn't working.

I'm not prepared to pay £50-£70 a month to connect to the net through my mobile so i guess i'm going to have to just forget that idea!

i was relcutant to get a laptop with vista on it because of what i had heard but if it's not a problem connecting to p2p and torrent programs i would probably prefer vista.

so the new spec list for the laptop looks like this:

- Compact and lightweight (easy to carry around whilst walking long distances)
- High sound quality so I can hear the music clearly in a car
- Very long battery life so I can play music all day
- DVD/CD writer

Any ideas where I can find such a laptop for as little money as possible? (used laptops will be considered)

Anneluo 02:00 16 Aug 2007

A good battery is important for your laptop,if you want to buy a battery of your ibm laptop,please <a href="click here">click here</a>.

Chris the Ancient 09:29 16 Aug 2007

Your car power socket in use? Get a splitter that will give multiple power sockets. I've seen them in Halfords and in Maplin. Then you can have more than one item plugged in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017