Laptop purchase and repurchase

sean-278262 20:52 18 Jan 2006

Ok not sure how to title this so here is the story. I purchased a laptop the other day (wednesday last week). I traveled to the store to get it and today I got an email from the company that states

"Main Status: Order Shipped
Explanation: Payment has been taken, your order has now been dispatched."

So it appears that another unit is on the way, yet I have the laptop what should I do? What is the position I should take as it would not be my fault they screwed up.

Thanks for suggestions. Personally I would be thinking of keeping it. But wanting to know what I really should be making of all that.

Stuartli 21:15 18 Jan 2006

Find out whether you actually get a second laptop delivered and, if you do, send an e-mail pointing out the error to the despatch department and then take the laptop back to the store.

When a similar thing happened to me - got two Palms delivered (on behalf of my son) rather than one - I immediately contacted the company concerned.

They were very grateful, arranged to have the second picked up and no one turned up. So I contacted them again with exactly the same result.

Then it was kept on the basis that the company had had two chances to put the mistake right and had failed to do so.

Recently I bought a set of compatible cartridges on e-Bay and two sets were delivered, although the correct price had been taken from my credit card account.

I contacted the seller who immediately offered the second set with his compliments and thanks to me for being honest - he was then going to contact the other buyer who, presumably should have had two sets...:-)

Stuartli 21:15 18 Jan 2006

If and when you return the second laptop to the store, make sure you get a receipt detailing exactly why it has been returned.

sean-278262 21:18 18 Jan 2006

No hope of me returning it to them, they can come get it! I aint doing the leg work. As a student I have better things to do with my time than chase their mistakes.

sean-278262 21:19 18 Jan 2006

Silly question what are my rights in this instance?

ade.h 21:28 18 Jan 2006

"As a student I have better things to do with my time....."

Thanks for that, you've really made me laugh!

sean-278262 21:31 18 Jan 2006

"Thanks for that, you've really made me laugh!"

Thanks for proving you are a stereotypical type person who has no brains to contemplate anything outside of your pre-defined idealistic world.

Do you think all students just go get pissed, mess about and do nothing all day. Well think again. If you have something to add do. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

A

ade.h 21:57 18 Jan 2006

I have news for you; I was a student once. Most of the students that I went to college with did exactly that. Your screen name is inappropriate then....

I'm sorry if you took offence at a joke. A little sense of humour wouldn't go amiss. No harm was meant by it you know.

As for your problem; ask the company concerned if it would like you to refuse the package upon delivery. The courier company has to return it then and you'll avoid any return costs or the hassle of waiting for another courier to pick it up.

Stuartli 22:53 18 Jan 2006

I now realise why you were contemplating keeping any second laptop without letting on.....

sean-278262 23:03 18 Jan 2006

Not really sure what I should do to be honest. As it isnt my fault they screwed up, I have a laptop already and love it and it is certainly not up to me to sort it for them, dont ever see banks sorting their mistakes when they do things wrong with my account. Bad example I know but I dont see why I should be the one to solve their problem. I think if it arrives I will just use it away and see what happens.

Would I have any legal obligation to return it if they send it to me and it gets delivered. I wont be in when it is delivered and I am expecting a number of things I have ordered too so I wont know what item it is till I accept delivery.

ade.h 23:08 18 Jan 2006

Legal obligation....

That question arose failry recently, but I honestly can't remember what the conclusion was.

Morally, you really have an obligation to offer to return it, and the company would have a moral obligation to either collect it or reimburse you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires