Laptop for my Son

User-E70658AE-BDD7-4DD5-AE5EE3B7769D7D2C 21:35 16 Nov 2007

My sons' laptop (for school use) has more or less blown up and quite frankly repair is likely to be just as costly as getting a cheap (new) replacement. I have looked at the ACER Aspire 7004WSMi (£349) which might fit the bill, but am a bit worried that this machine may not be man enough to run Vista.
Any advice would be appreciate.

Thank you

Forum Editor 23:19 16 Nov 2007

My advice is to buy your son the best laptop you can afford, it will possibly be one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Totally-braindead 23:53 16 Nov 2007

I have to agree with the FE. My neighbour bought a really cheap PC with a Celeron processor and 512mb RAM running Vista Basic. It took nearly 5 minutes to start up it was just so slow. I added another gig of memory and now startup is down to about a minute and a half. Much better. But its still slow in my opinion and to be honest with you with the Celeron theres nothing much else I can do with it. Hes happy so I suppose thats all thats important.
Had a quick look and its ok, it has more memory than my neighbours has but the processor is a Sempron which is AMDs version of the Celeron and is not that fast.
For a cheap laptop I would prefer one that runs XP as it makes less demands on the hardware and consequently will run faster. Something like this click here dearer I know but not by much, has dual core processor a smaller screen admitadly but runs XP.
I like Toshibas very sturdy workhorses.

sihart 00:52 19 Nov 2007

Good advice above. Try and spend a bit more a get a Intel Core Duo or an AMD Turion cpu, an Intel Core 2 Duo if you can stretch that far. There a couple of good deals suggested here: click here. And if choosing a Vista machine try and get one with 2GB of RAM or you will only end buying more further down the line. It staggers me when I see Vista machines for sale with only 512MB, they are clearly trying to dupe the unknowledgable buyer.

100andthirty 09:09 19 Nov 2007

don't know if it's any good but Tesco have a Samsung with Core 2 Duo, 2 GB, 160GB disc and 15.4" screen and 3 year collect and return warrenty. £499

Crash 14:57 19 Nov 2007

What about this one click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?