Is a laptop for me?

Mark-T 14:00 05 Dec 2006

Hello all.

I was considering buying a laptop in the near future and was advised to go for pcnextday! Thank god i used my brain and did a bit of homework on them by looking at this forum, and have decided against buying from them due to the large number of complaints.

To the real purpose of my thread:
I want to buy a laptop but only if it allows me to do college work, internet etc. And play Football Manager 2007. (a big game, i know)
Specifications for FM2007:
(Minimum: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, 1GHz processor, 128MB RAM
Recommended: Windows XP, AMD or Intel Dual Core 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 1024x768 32Bit display, 650MB HD Space)

I was just wondering whether this was realistic to get for a laptop in the region of £700.

Would appreciate any advice/help
Thanks

citadel 17:09 05 Dec 2006

if you want to include gaming, something with a go7600 graphics card minimum.

Kate B 17:42 05 Dec 2006

Does it have to be a laptop? You'll get much better value for money - and much better gaming capacity - with a desktop.

Mark-T 18:44 05 Dec 2006

Citadel
If i were to buy a laptop with an integrated graphics card (which i don't want) would i be able to buy a graphics card like the one you suggested and simply 'put' it in?

Mark-T 18:48 05 Dec 2006

Well the idea of a laptop by which i don't have to do college work in a normally noisy living room, and can do it somewhere more quiet appeals to me. However, is it going to be a huge price difference?

Forum Editor 19:00 05 Dec 2006

1. laptops are now every bit as good as the desktop machines of only a couple of years ago, and some are better.

2. Don't expect to be able to upgrade a laptop in the same way as a desktop; it simply isn't possible. Most components - apart from hard drives and RAM modules - are integrated, i.e attached to the motherboard, and can't be changed by anyone other than a qualified technician, and even then the possibilities are severely limited.

3. £700 will buy you a very capable machine, but a top-end laptop will cost considerably more than that. Kate B is right in saying that - all other things being equal - you'll get far better value for money with a desktop machine. But then you won't have portability, it's horses for courses.

fifemale93 20:16 05 Dec 2006

looking at laptops also, pretty much for same reasons as Mark-T. Saw this one and looks a good deal, is it or should i wait couple more weeks and see if any better deals come along at that price for xmas?

TOSHIBA A100-147
Intel Core Duo T2050 Processor 1.6GHz
533 MHz FSB
2 MB Cache
1024 MB RAM
60 GB Hard Drive
DVD ReWriter SuperMulti
15.4" Widescreen TruBrite Display
Microsoft Windows Media Center
128mb Intel UMA 945 integrated Graphics

Mark-T 20:47 05 Dec 2006

Thanks for all your comments so far, will bear them in mind.

I was just wondering whether people have any experience of purchasing from Comet?
I was looking on their website and found some laptops that interest me.

fifemale93 00:24 07 Dec 2006

Cant make up my mind between laptop or desktop. Obviously the portability, wireless enabled aspects of a laptop are a plus but for the same price as that laptop ive got the specs for in earlier post i could get this desktop:

Intel Pentium D 820 Processor
2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
1GB DDR RAM
250GB Hard Disk Drive
Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
512MB ATI Radeon X1550 Graphics
17" TFT Monitor

Pentium D or Duo Core on the laptop?
Speed difference between the 2, which is better?
Hard Disk space is not a major issue, dont download a lot of music and not really into gaming at all (apart from Football Manager game)...........dont know what to go for now, help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?