laptop guarantee

iqs 13:20 04 Jul 2006

Hi.I have just been pricing up latops at John Lewis.The reason why I decided on J/L is because their electrical appliances come suppled with a free extended guarantee.
They are offering a guarantee of two years on all laptops.This can be extended to 5 for an extra £209.Is the two year guarantee sufficient,or should I pay for the extra cover?. Has anyone bought a laptop from them.Do they offer a good after sale service or not.Your comments are appreciated.Cheers IQS

rmcqua 13:55 04 Jul 2006

£209 is an awful lot for an extra 5 years, especially as most aspects of your laptop will probably be old technology by then. However, if it covers such things as accidental damage and battery replacement, then that might be worth considering.

Woolwell 14:01 04 Jul 2006

I don't know what brand of laptop that you are looking at but I suggest that you look at the manufacturer's website. They often offer extended warranties at a lower price than can be obtained in store or on line. You will then know if the £209 is good value or not. Toshiba will extend a warranty to 2 years with product registration.
Personally I will take an extended warranty on a desktop only if I think that it is very good value. They usually do not need one. However on a laptop my thinking changes. They can be difficult to repair, their portability means that they can get damaged, my wife spilt wine over hers (drunken laptop which wouldn't work) (and I know drinks and computers do not go together) and so on balance I think that an extended warranty for a laptop is ok but only after shopping around and checking that it is a good price.

spuds 18:46 04 Jul 2006

Check to see who is supporting the warranty. If its Domestic & General Insurance PLC, then contact them direct for a quote.

iqs 21:28 04 Jul 2006

Hello and thanks for your comments.I will pay another visit to John Lewis and request more info regarding the guarantee.

The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite A100-204.£209 seems alot when the laptop only costs £650.From what I read the guarantee does not include the battery.......Thanks

Kind regards :)

Woolwell 21:44 04 Jul 2006

Comet have a Toshiba very similar specs for £519.99
click here

You also need to check what Toshiba can offer as a warranty on the laptop you have seen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?