laptop graphics cards

mikegm7 20:59 26 Jan 2007

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement graphics card for my laptop, yes I have done a few searches but the results are not showing graphics cards for 'laptops'
Thanks

Jackcoms 21:09 26 Jan 2007

You cannot upgrade a graphics card on a laptop. It is incorporated into the motherboard. What you have is what you get.

mikegm7 21:21 26 Jan 2007

I was just wondering whether or not they were available!

Totally-braindead 00:49 27 Jan 2007

If your laptop is a top of the range one, ie you paid £1000 or more for it, there is a slight possability that it might have unpgradeable graphics. I have only ever seen about 3 perhaps 4 laptops with this option and they are very pricey. The only one I can think of ofhand was one of the Alienware ones costing just over £1500.
If you tell us what laptop it is I'm someone will double check. But they are very expensive and very rare.
I would think Jackcoms would be correct in what he says.

Totally-braindead 01:11 27 Jan 2007

unpgradeable = upgradeable

vinnyT 13:43 27 Jan 2007

There was a lot of talk of MXM: Mobile PCI Express Module a year or so ago, seems to have gone quiet.

This seems to be the new savior for LT graphics upgrades Asustek's XG Station brings external audio, video processing to laptops.

This is an article on building your own LT, maybe there will be links to where you can buy the parts that you need (you'll have to read it yourself, I couldn't be bothered)

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 13:43 27 Jan 2007

And here's the link, Doh, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone