Laptop for displaying photos.

Mike_R 17:36 16 May 2009

I've come to the conclusion that I'm spending a fortune on photo paper and ink which would go a long way to funding a laptop to replace the collection of photo albums. I'm not into gaming and, anyway, have the desktop.
My primary interest is a good sharp screen and have a budget of around £500. I had thought about a Sony laptop but have just read a good report on the Dell Studio 15.
Any thoughts on the merits of these and of any others I should consider would be welcome.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:50 16 May 2009

It is £100 more than your budget but IMHO, a 17" screen is a necessity for displaying photos. A friend of mine who is a wedding photographer, uses one of these and the quality is stunning. If you can squeeze another £80 you can uopgrade the screen to a much sharper one. The lappy has 4Gb of RAM as well......click here

G

Mike_R 12:30 17 May 2009

I take your point about a 17" screen. I read a review in PCPro which said that I would need a 1920*1200 screen adding £140 to the price. I'm now upping my budget and am wondering if any other makes would offer a better price/performance package, bearing in mind my prime requirement.
Decisions. decisions, decisions!

Covergirl 12:59 18 May 2009

. . . for a friend. This one click here

Compaq 17" Widescreen, 2.16Ghz dual core, 160GB HDD, VHB, 5 card reader, onboard shared graphics £350 . . .

Very quick and easy to set up. Very good "Restore Disc" creation. Nice & fast, clear picture etc etc . . . .

The only reason to spend more than this is if you are constantly dealing with large TIFF or RAW image formats through a complex photo editing program like Photoshop or GIMP, in which case you may need that extra GB of RAM and a decent graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?