Laptop buying advice please

Father Jack 22:27 28 Aug 2008

I am looking at buying 2 laptops. Their main functions are for college and university use not for gaming or watching videos. General home use and internet. I have seen these 2 and wondered if anyone could tell me what they think about the specs. I have asked a number of forums but the advice is a bit vague and to be honest nt much use. We are on a budget and these 2 fit the bill nicely..

[url]click here[/url]

[url]click here[url]

chub_tor 09:54 29 Aug 2008

Personally I would go with the Acer. It has a larger hard drive and more RAM, both desirable for students who will undoubtedly want to download tunes and videos over the internet. If you get the Compaq you will eventually have to increase the RAM size so that Vista runs swiftly.

Father Jack 10:12 29 Aug 2008

Thanks for your input.. the compaq would be for my wife who would probably use less functions than me. She just needs to be able to use internet, write essays and do powerpoint presentations and that sort of basic stuff. I would probably use my old laptop for downloading any music so wouldn't need them for that.

I think looking on here that these would be recommended. I hadn't really thought of Tesco for laptops before.

jaraba 10:29 29 Aug 2008

Looking at both of these I agree with chub_tor that the acer is the better buy.
With the compaq you are actually paying for all the extras.
My son has just bought a laptop from tescos for, I think, £300.
1gb ram 160 hd which will be used for general use.
Spreadsheets, word, publishers & storing family photos & he is quite satisfied with it.

jack 10:51 29 Aug 2008

something like these- budgetery considerationr are to the fore
click here

GaT7 11:44 29 Aug 2008

Consider a Dell that matches the Acer for ~£45-60 less: click here - dual-core T5670 CPU, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb hard drive, Vista Premium. Use code GLTV1QH8DCMLWF at checkout to get a 10% discount (expires 31/08/08) - this will make it £316.19 delivered. And get 5% cashback if you go through Quidco click here - this is ~£13-14. G

GaT7 11:53 29 Aug 2008

There's a similar 17" one too click here for £348 after the 10% discount (£15 cashback on this if you choose it). G

DrATty 22:37 29 Aug 2008

I was looking for a portable laptop until I bought an Advent 4211 recently. It's PCWorld's version of the MSI Wind and cost £279.
It might be too small for some (10" screen), and the battery supplied is only good for 2 hours or so, but I'm impressed. It fits easily into my rucksack making it very portable.
One note on Office if you need to buy it. I have the Home and Student version with 3 licences. I'm not certain but I think I saw a discounted version that had just one licence. If you need it for more than one PC, it's not the bargain it seems. I might be wrong; I didn't look too closely.

DrATty 03:07 30 Aug 2008

Well, I'm very happy with my 4211 but it appears that some users aren't. Mine is an 'older' model, with newer versions having a different touch pad. It seems that there isn't a driver for this yet and many owners find it difficult to work with.
My guess is that this will be fixed but I thought I'd mention it.

Father Jack 09:59 30 Aug 2008

Appreciate all the advice. I think i'm going for the Acer from Tesco as it seems to have everything I need including Wi Fi. My wife is still looking. Shes is now trying to get something similar, not Celeron, 2GB for vista. I looked at the Dell's but as I have a Dell at the moment i want a change.

GaT7 15:20 31 Aug 2008

Just noticed that the first Acer you linked to, is only £300 with a lower spec at click here or click here (with latter you can get 4% cashback click here).

Another to consider is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li2735 click here, with a slightly better spec than the Tesco Acer for £20 lower (& possible 7% cashback click here). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie