Laptop Battery Life

Flopper 12:37 26 Oct 2006

I recently bought an Advent laptop with a decent spec: a AMD Sempron processor with 1GB of RAM, etc, and the battery is supposed to last 4 hours which is obviously an optimum but having used it running from battery only just long enough to view/test (not watch) 3 DVDs briefly the battery warning light came on and demanded to be hooked up to the mains while the monitor claimed I had well over an hour of juice left. Is this normal?
What should the life expectancy of a fully charged battery be using it for a mixture of operations, ie, multimedia and general administration?
I need a laptop that will run on battery only at least for a couple of hours.
Any recommendations, re: models or are they all much the same? I don't need top of the range. Entry level with decent graphics will do.

Jimmy14 16:07 26 Oct 2006

if the AMD sempron processor in the advent was one of the mobile range then I would expect the battery life would be more than normal laptops but I have another laptop with the normal amd sempron and sempron originally is a desktop processor although they have a few mobile semprons. I would recommend you take a look for some Acer aspire laptops. Great battery life and my main acer laptop lasts roughly 5/6 hours for basic tasks and use but you would easily get a few films out of it, music and so on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017