Laptop to Australia

Binnacle 14:07 03 May 2009

I would like to buy on line an inexpensive Laptop for a family member in Australia.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.
My main concern is of purchase security ,a reliable company ,international warranty and how to go about it.
Many thanks

Binnacle 14:12 03 May 2009

Sorry ,this should have been on consumerwatch. Maybe the FE will move it.

wiz-king 16:56 03 May 2009

Google is your friend, google for 'computer shops' plus their local town, this will give you an idea of what the locals buy and what is available. Choose a store and email it to explain what you want and tell them that it is for xyz who lives there. If you don't mind them knowing you could arrange for them to go in and see it, then you buy it on your credit card making sure that it is for delivery to their address. That way they can be your agent if any problems occur.

Forum Editor 08:35 04 May 2009

from Speakers Corner.

Binnacle 10:11 04 May 2009

Thanks for the advice. I have had a look and will send off some emails today.I have also emailed two international manufactures and await their replies.
I suppose i could buy one here and send it by courier but that could prove to be expensive.

Woolwell 12:16 04 May 2009

You will need to be careful regarding Australian Import taxes click here

Binnacle 13:36 04 May 2009

thanks,I never thought of that !
I think it might be easier if i just wired the cash. It will take away the element of a surprise present but at least they can make a personal choice.

Forum Editor 13:42 04 May 2009

is a far better proposal.

Binnacle 13:53 04 May 2009

On consideration i think that's what i will do.
Much appreciate all the advice.
S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?