laptop anyone recomend this one at price

frankie 18:41 13 Nov 2006

or can it be bettered price is 395-00 from comet...only need it for net and office pc...spec is ...ACER AS3692WLMI
Product code 362972
LOW price for this Media Centre laptop featuring 1GB RAM, 60GB hard drive, Intel Celeron Mobile processor and a 15.4" widescreen display

The Brigadier 20:00 13 Nov 2006

Dont like Windows Media Centre but some would say i'm a fussy sod! But if it's only for the net and using for letters etc then yes it's fine, plenty of ram, decent size hard drive & good size screen, go for it!

frankie 20:07 13 Nov 2006

thanks for response...how does media centre differ from xp home thanks

frankie 21:01 15 Nov 2006

frankie 22:39 15 Nov 2006

hmmm

Stuartli 17:02 16 Nov 2006

If you are prepared to splash out a little more then this might appeal (!):

click here

scareybus 12:39 17 Nov 2006

I have purchased this ACER from Comet in the last few days for my son who is at Uni. So far I am most impressed with the product and I am comparing it with a year old Sony Vaio. Sorry, can't tell you how long the battery lasts.

Just like the Sony, there aren't any recovery DVDs in the box, so you are encouraged to make your own - it all fits into two DVDs.

Media Centre is available if you select it, but the basic installation is really windows xp (home). Thus there is no need at all to use the media centre interface; so there isn't a problem!

However, this laptop does I think (haven't yet read all the paperwork) have the added benefit of a free upgrade to Vista premium.

For a budget model, used by son mainly for the internet and MS Office for Students, it is excellent value for money. Recommended.

frankie 09:18 18 Nov 2006

thanks for that all seems positive will let you all know if i went for it and results

season8 10:09 18 Nov 2006

Media Centre is aimed at watching TV, Films and Multimedia on your laptop. I much prefer either version of XP on a PC/Laptop.

scareybus 12:51 18 Nov 2006

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. This laptop has Media Centre. You do not need to use it at all. You can remain entirely with XP HOME interface, which is installed on the hard drive.

I don't like the Media interface very much either. On this paricular laptop your concerns aren't really valid as you have an "either/or" option. It really is a good value budget laptop.

No idea of the relabilty of the components yet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?