Laptop Advice

gary75 12:52 08 Jun 2009

Hi

Looking for some advice on which laptop to buy, I have foud 3 in my price range that I like:

click here

click here

click here

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks

Gary

mrwoowoo 13:56 08 Jun 2009

Some info on what you will be using them for would be helpful.Without that it's hard to advise.

gary75 14:02 08 Jun 2009

I will mainly be using it for web development using the likes of Visual Studio. Will also be using Dreamweaver, Photoshop, SQL Server, Oracle. Never got time to play games so that would not really be a requirement.

Want it to last a good few years. It doesn't have to be the smallest and lightest as it will be used at home most of the time.

Would be doing the occasional bit of video editing, this is really just for home videos.

Thanks

Gary

user8 14:07 08 Jun 2009

The Toshiba looks OK.
Well made & great to use, i'm on my 2nd Toshiba Laptop.
Last one only lasted 10 years!

mrwoowoo 14:25 08 Jun 2009

Nothing between the Toshiba and the Sony.
Either of those are fine.

skidzy 08:11 09 Jun 2009

Not a lot in them at all,though personally i would steer clear of the Acer.

This machine has a better processor and you may find you will need this when using Photoshop,especially if a CS version.The processor would also help you with your video editing.

From Dell who i totally recommend,ive had several machines now from Dell and with brilliant service.

click here

gary75 14:57 09 Jun 2009

Thanks Skidzy, you might have sold me on that. I never thought of Dell as you hear so many conflicting stories. Certainly got a better graphics card and faster processor than the rest.

Cheers

Gary

gary75 15:12 09 Jun 2009

Hi

Is it worth paying an extra £30 to go from a '320GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive' to a '320GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive'?

Thanks

Gary

skidzy 19:10 09 Jun 2009

In my opinion ..yes Gary.

I will say this,if you do your research with various Dell machines and then ring them...you can haggle and you may find you save a few pounds.

First thing i would say,
" im interested in "x" computer but was hoping you can upgrade the hdd for the same price....(there are other deals around )...obviously you word the phone call in your own manner.

I always build the computer on Dell's site first and then ring them to save a few pounds.

Im currently writing this on a xp Dell core2duo Inspiron 6400,roughly about 3 years old.
It runs PS cs2 easily and any thing else ive thrown at it.
Its been an extremely reliable laptop from day one.
When i got this machine,it cost me around £700,you can get a lot better machine than this for that money now.

Good luck with your purchase,keep us informed with your choice.

gary75 09:18 10 Jun 2009

Thanks Skidzy

Phoned them and go the machine for £710 with the faster hard drive.

Cheers for your advice

Gary

skidzy 18:09 10 Jun 2009

All the best with the new toy gary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?