laplink

sdf 02:31 27 Sep 2003

does anyone of a viable free alternative to laplink that is compatible with both Win 2000 and XP Pro? (much to my dismay that copy of laplink technical that was given away on a cover disk a while back is not 2000 compatible) I'm after something that might also act as brief case used to so when I add a cd or two's worth of mp3 to either my desk top or notebook abd I sink the two machines it will cross reference the two music libarys. any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Forum Editor 08:14 27 Sep 2003

what it is you are asking here. Are there two distinct questions, or one?

If what you want to do is physically connect two machines and transfer files etc. then you don't need Laplink (or any other third party software) because you can do the job within Windows.

If the connection is going to be a remote one, i.e. you are going to dial in to one machine from a remote location, then you do need a software solution. Fortunately, there's a solution available (Free) from Microsoft, in the shape of the client portion of the remote desktop facility that's included with WindowsXP Pro. You can install the client service on any machine running Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT 4.0/2000 and thus be able to dial in and control your WindowsXP desktop remotely. What you can't do is use the XP Pro machine to dial into the machine running Windows 2000.

If this interests you
click here where you'll be able to download the software. There's also a helpful walk-through of the setup routine.

As far as the transfer of the MP3 tracks is concerned - you can simply drag them from one machine to the other, once they're connected. If the connection is a remote one you'll wait all day while two CDs full of tracks transfer, but that's another problem.

Belatucadrus 10:48 27 Sep 2003

click here may be worth a look

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017