Landline and Broadband Supplier

dms05 12:04 18 Jul 2007

I'm just about to move into a recently converted Victorian House. Our ground floor apartment has the original landline wires attached to a standard socket. My question is 'as a completely new customer what's the best deal to look for on landline and broadband - and do I still have to pay BT a line rental'?

The combined telephone and free broadband from the likes of Carphone Warehouse obviously look tempting, on price alone, but can I obtain a better service and similar prices by sourcing the two seperately?

Your views would be much appreciated.

spuds 12:15 18 Jul 2007

I have recently looked into this, and taking on a package deal from likes of C W's Talk Talk or a similar deal from Tiscali. Then I can only see that good savings are to be made. Transferring from BT line rental and calls to a Tiscali package, will result in saving £11.00 per month on line rental (Tiscali and Talk Talk line rentals are free), cheaper phone calls and free weekend calls. Something that BT cannot offer me at present.

I have been a loyal BT (GPO) customer for as many years as I can remember, but the saving on offer are not to be avoided.

Stuartli 12:17 18 Jul 2007

For the past 15 months TalkTalk's International3 package at £20.99 (now 50p cheaper), which includes the BT line rental, has been the benchmark.

No other ISP has come anywhere near it to date for both features AND inclusive price.

See:

click here

Remember too that both UK and international calls (to 36 countries) are AnyTime, not merely evenings and weekends.

Stuartli 12:18 18 Jul 2007

TalkTalk's line rental is not free in the sense you mean - CPW pays BT the line rental on your behalf.

You retain your BT line.

Even then Tiscali cannot match the TalkTalk package by a long chalk.

dms05 12:32 18 Jul 2007

Stuartli - thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I've looked at the TT link and wonder (a) what the TT WiFi Router is like for £20 (b) if I don't have a BT line or number (ie just the wires) can TT arrange the number or do I have to go through BT?

harps1h 13:58 18 Jul 2007

take a hard long look at these offers as there are long standing contracts involved. in the instance of CPW that is 18 months.....a long time if their service is poor. also look into how quickly they will be able to supply broadband as many customers have to wait a few months. paying for a face value service does not always deliver the best value. i myself was with tiscali until this month for broadband and phone but migrated away as their broadband service was extremely poor for customers on IPstream, however i kept the phone deal as it offers me good value still as i make a lot of calls in the daytime. i now have my broadband with a small ISP who offers good Customer Service and and a properly maintained connection running at the correct speed. although this may not be the best monetary value the services i have suit my needs better.

harps1h 14:02 18 Jul 2007

having reread your thread, you will also need a reconnected line maybe but phone bt and see if there is a phone number assigned to it. if not a new one will be assigned but they will bill you for this and this is seperate regardless of whether you use an all inclusive plan or not

Stuartli 15:45 18 Jul 2007

Apart from a couple of initial niggles when I originally joined TalkTalk (I was already with One.Tel, itself by then a CPW company) a year last April, my TalkTalk service has proved excellent.

Billing is spot on; I'm on an average broadband speed of between 6MB and 6.6MB which, apparently following some additional exchange work yesterday, now extends to a best of 6.7 to 6.8MB; I save £14.99 a month alone on BB compared to Tiscali and I'm quids in all round.

In addition my best mate switched to the same TalkTalk package two months ago (the first time he has had a broadband service at home) and was up and running inside a fortnight.

Stuartli 15:52 18 Jul 2007

Looking at the TT International3 offer logically, by taking out the inclusive line rental fee (which has to be paid in any case either to BT or TT), the cost of AnyTime UK local, 01 and 02 phone calls; AnyTime free international calls to up to 36 countries and "up to 8MB" broadband is just £9.99 a month.

As I stated earlier, no other ISP comes seriously close to that package.

Stuartli 15:52 18 Jul 2007

Looking at the TT International3 offer logically, by taking out the inclusive line rental fee (which has to be paid in any case either to BT or TT), the cost of AnyTime UK local, 01 and 02 phone calls; AnyTime free international calls to up to 36 countries and "up to 8MB" broadband is just £9.99 a month.

As I stated earlier, no other ISP comes seriously close to that package.

harps1h 21:39 18 Jul 2007

are you trying to convert me LOL....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?