Keenly priced film scanner...

Stuartli 14:20 16 Apr 2004

There are regular requests for details of film scanners in the forum, so here's one that could well prove of especial interest.

It's the Microtek FilmScan 2700v for both the PC and Mac, handles 35mm negative and positive filmstrips and slides, has a 36 bit colour CCD sensor, above average resolution (for the price) of 2700x2700dpi, has Adobe Elements 2 and Cyberview X software, user guide, USB cable, AC adaptor and supports up to Windows XP and Mac OS 10.2x.

Price is £99 plus VAT and p and p - the cheapest equivalent I've seen is £129.99 with only 1800dpi resolution - and is offered until the end of this month at this price by CPC in Preston.

You can order online at click here, ring 08701 20 25 30 or e-mail [email protected] for same day despatch if ordered before 7pm.

It's on offer in the latest regular Computer Commodities catalogue from the company which also stocks a wide range of electronics components and spare parts, car parts, computer systems etc; in fact many, many thousands of items in total.

I've dealt with CPC for more than 30 years and it's been a member of the Farnell Group since the early 1990s.

arricarry 19:50 17 Apr 2004

This one is an A-List model
click here

ferrex 21:28 17 Apr 2004

I got a Microtek film scan 35mm which will scan Trans & Negs from Max Spielmans about two three months ago for £49.99 seems OK to me.

Stuartli 08:46 18 Apr 2004

The basic principle may be the same, but there is a considerable difference between a flatbed scanner and a film scanner...:-)

Stuartli 08:53 18 Apr 2004

I would be interested to learn details about the Microtek scanner you acquired from Max Spielmann.

Incidentally, if you live in the North West, the company is the only one in the UK to offer the opportunity to visit a major photo lab and see how films are developed and printed and then distributed to customers.

Contact the tour guide co-ordinator on (0151) 638-5938

Stuartli 08:55 18 Apr 2004

You can also visit the digital imaging centre where a full explanation of the latest digital technology is given.

I've been on this tour and it's fascinating watching thousands of films and prints all meeting back up together as they should - there's also the opportunity to buy films and photographic accessories at much less than in its shops.

ferrex 09:21 18 Apr 2004

Stuartli

click here

It's said the software is hard to get the hang of, I had no problem.
One thing you need to keep your eye on when I had mine, I got home and found there was no power supply in the package. Although I had no problems getting one from Max Spielmann, but it did take a few days. A friend of mine also had one, his was complete, looking at the price I would guess this would be an end of line sale you may need to be quick to get hold of one. I'm from Wolves area, Max Spielmann had to obtain film scan from another area not sure where now. I'm happy with the results because I had 100s of trans that I had not seen for, well, a number of years, and I no longer have a projector but there may be better products on the market now.
Hope this helps

ferrex 09:21 18 Apr 2004

Stuartli

click here

It's said the software is hard to get the hang of, I had no problem.
One thing you need to keep your eye on when I had mine, I got home and found there was no power supply in the package. Although I had no problems getting one from Max Spielmann, but it did take a few days. A friend of mine also had one, his was complete, looking at the price I would guess this would be an end of line sale you may need to be quick to get hold of one. I'm from Wolves area, Max Spielmann had to obtain film scan from another area not sure where now. I'm happy with the results because I had 100s of trans that I had not seen for, well, a number of years, and I no longer have a projector but there may be better products on the market now.
Hope this helps

ferrex 09:25 18 Apr 2004

Sorry folks not sure how I did that post twice.

Stuartli 11:25 18 Apr 2004

Thanks for the info - however it's a more expensive model, has lower resolution and is stated as being discontinued or out of stock.

Presumably Max Spielmann has acquired a supply of them from somewhere but there's no mention on its website of any products it sells, only digital printing and prices.

ferrex 11:52 18 Apr 2004

Stuartli
Not sure if your saying it's not what you want, but my mate had his first from Walsall, when I saw it and found out the price he paid I went on line and could find no trace of it at Max Spielmann web page, tried Walsall branch they had no more left in stock, but they ordered me one. I did only pay what he paid, £49.99 when I picked up the power supply that was missing from the Wolves shop the woman behind the counter couldn’t believe the price, and said she was getting one too.
PS how do you make the forum send you an email to say there's been a response to a thread that you replied to?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?