junk mail and told to pay postage?

had a postmans card in my letter box the other day and it said to the occupier(no name) and a unreadable description as to what it was (letter parcel etc)and was told i needed to pay £1.42 as the sender hasnt payed full postage..went to the local depot and it turned out it was junk mail so i said i dont want it...anybody had or know of this?? kind regards akanic

sinbads 19:51 07 Dec 2007

no not hd thatr but does take the biscuit

STREETWORK 20:36 07 Dec 2007

they're having a laugh...

sinbads 20:50 07 Dec 2007

we all pay for junk mail one way or another

961 12:15 08 Dec 2007

I told the local delivery office in writing some time ago that, while I was happy to pay excess postage on understamped items in cash direct to the postman, as I had done for the last 40 years, I would on no account pay a fee on top.

On that basis I told them to return any such items to sender, without the normal delay that they introduce by holding on to such items for three weeks or whatever

The whole thing is a nonsense

spuds 16:10 08 Dec 2007

I wonder if there is a hard and set rule about this. A neighbour of mine, had a small package delivered the other day, with insufficient postage written on it. The postman didn't even bother to knock the door.

But I also wonder about a charge and collection I had to make a few months ago. Sent for a newspaper 'free' cd offer, which the promoters requested a self addressed envelope with 48p stamp attached. Received card from Royal Mail to say that the 48p stamp was not enough, and I would have to pay the extra, including the £1.00 admin fee.

jarani 17:42 08 Dec 2007

I think the PO are going to loose the goodwill of the public they always enjoed in the past by adopting this policy of penalising the public unreasonably

My 13 yr old grandaughter had a letter with a bead bracelet where one of the beads was 1/10 of a mm too large to go through the slot easily and they made us go 12 miles to collect it and pay a few pence excess plus £1

the excuse was the letter should go through the slot easily or you pay for the larger size - is that reasonable ? - the whole thing was not woth a £1 - jb

Stuartli 00:24 09 Dec 2007

You're having a laugh surely?

norman47 01:45 09 Dec 2007

>>1/10 of a mm too large to go through the slot ea

You're having a laugh surely?

It's right. :-(

If it does not fit through their letter template in width or depth, they apply extra charges. Even if it weighs under the prescribled weight.

I take all of my oversized letters and have to queue to make sure they do not incur extra charges.

ened 06:05 09 Dec 2007

"I take all of my oversized letters and have to queue to make sure they do not incur extra charges."

So do many people, causing additional queues in the Post Offices.

So what do they do?

Close the Post Offices!!!!!

ened 06:07 09 Dec 2007

"I take all of my oversized letters and have to queue to make sure they do not incur extra charges."

So do many people, causing additional queues in the Post Offices.

So what do they do?

Close the Post Offices!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone