Jump from XP to Win7?

john bunyan 18:43 18 Apr 2008

If one has latest XP plus MCE is it worth forgetting Vista and waiting for Windows 7? I am not a gamer.

iscanut 19:07 18 Apr 2008

You wil be waiting until probably 2010 !

anskyber 19:11 18 Apr 2008

If you are happy with XP then why not.

7 is due anytime from 2009 to 2010 depending on who you believe. Microsoft have had a spotty record on producing OS "on time" so you can judge for yourself.

The support for XP (patches, updates for security) is scheduled to end for consumers ( not business users) in June 2009.

I fancy it could be extended but who knows. I have used Vista since February 2007 and I am delighted with it, others seem less happy. XP is fine, I think Vista is better but that is only my view.

john bunyan 19:12 18 Apr 2008

Nuts. OK but I still cannot see any advantage for me in switching sooner - My PC is Vista suitable, but for my needs (Photography PS CS3, some music, and the usual surfing and word processing) XP Pro is OK I am happy to wait - unless the forum convinces me to switch earlier.

john bunyan 19:14 18 Apr 2008

anskyber. Thanks for your view, and congratulations on your award in the June PCA!

iscanut 19:20 18 Apr 2008

I am steying with XP on my desktop, but have a new laptop running Vista. Vista looks nice, but I am more than happy to stay with XP on the desktop as it does everything I need.

rdave13 00:21 19 Apr 2008

I agree with Nuts and anskyber! If your desktop has XP and you're happy with it then I wouldn't upgrade to Vista even if it's compatible.
As Nuts I've a Vista home premium laptop and it runs very well in Vista. Thing is it was manufactured for the new OS. Up to you but there's a lot to be said about 'if it ain't broke then don't try tofix it'.

john bunyan 16:54 19 Apr 2008

Thanks all. I will keep XP MCE on my desktop as "it ain't broke" , as adave13 says.If I replace my laptop I will get Vista home Premium.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017