John Lewis laptop/ tablet

Analopez 08:31 18 Jun 2017

Hello

My company bought me last year OCT 16, a new laptop from John Lewis. At the end of March, the power off, i couldn't switch on, so it was sent to back to JH for repair on the 4 of April.

Shortly after we received a call from JH, that it has turned on. But just in case my IT dept decided to leave it with JH for further investigations to understand what was wrong with it. After numerous chasing up, they have finally come back to us on the 01 of June,2 months later saying that the power socket has been damaged and it is not covered under guarantee. If we want it to repair it will cost £900, ( same value as the actual laptop/ tablet). I'm furious, is it legal ?? My purchasing dept, says it's my word against JH as to who has damaged it. How can after 2 months of having the laptop/tablet they are now saying that the power socket has been damaged and it's not under guarantee? Is it legal? Is there anything I can do?. Thanks everybody

Forum Editor 13:56 18 Jun 2017

"Is it legal?"

Is what legal? John Lewis has an impeccable reputation for customer service, and the company is unlikely to invent the fact that the power socket is damaged if it isn't - why would they want to do that?

These things always end up being one person's word against another's, but if JL is adamant there is little that you can do. That said, £900 for a power socket repair does seem a lot. The damage would not be covered by the warranty, as it would be classed as a user-caused problem.

You can try arguing the case with JL, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

alanrwood 16:12 18 Jun 2017

£900 is much more than reasonable for a power socket replacement. In fact it is quite extortionate in my opinion.

I also don't understand why it took them 2 month in possession of the laptop to see if a power socket was damaged. It is quite possible it was damaged while in JL's possession.

Analopez 16:46 18 Jun 2017

Well that's what I think it has been damaged while on John Lewis possession, but how can I prove it? Thanks.

alanrwood 19:37 18 Jun 2017

As the FE says , it is your word against theirs.

lotvic 00:11 21 Jun 2017

As your company bought it presumably your IT Dept inspected and tested it before they sent it back to JL.

Shortly after we received a call from JH, that it has turned on. But just in case my IT dept decided to leave it with JH for further investigations to understand what was wrong with it.

IMHO I would let your IT dept deal with JL.

Simsy 18:49 21 Jun 2017

Just to be clear... You say it was purchased from John Lewis, but several times, (i.e. not just once, so it probably isn't a mistake?), in your original post you refer to "JH"? Is this a 3rd party repairer and not John Lewis?

Regards,

Simsy

Analopez 18:27 25 Jun 2017

JL is John Lewis.

I don't think my IT dept fully inspected before it went to JL.

Now my boss doesn't want to buy me another one...

lotvic 22:58 25 Jun 2017

You could always ask for the laptop to be returned to you and then take it to a local repair shop for a quote to fix it. There seem to be plenty of youtube vids on repairing faulty power on/off button and also power socket. Got to be cheaper than JL.

Actually thinking about it, (before you get laptop back from JL) try asking a local shop for an approx of their charges to repair if you were to take it to them.

Forum Editor 23:28 25 Jun 2017

"I don't think my IT dept fully inspected before it went to JL."

In which case, you do not have a valid argument with John Lewis. lotvic's suggestion is worth trying.

wee eddie 23:31 25 Jun 2017

It sounds as if the MOBO has been cracked. That possibly explains the cost

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie