Jessops Camera Prob after 3 months How to proceed

AFoxyLady 08:23 27 Sep 2010

I purchased a Fuji Finepix XP 10 on 26th June 2010, as a present for my daughter. Used it fine, went to Oz and USA - excellent little waterproof and shockproof camera, with lovely video as well.

She is now at Uni, and has written to tell me its broken. It shows as a zoom problem. I have the original box and the receipt. Whats the best I can do, and what can I/she expect?

1/ Better for me to send her the box and receipt?
2/ Better for her to return the camera to me? I paid with my mastercard
3/ Will they repair or replace?

Total cost of camera was £129.00

As she is over 200 miles away (and struggling with the new uni thing and being away from home!) any help and advice will be much appreciated. We don't want her without a camera for long!

Tessa

961 09:01 27 Sep 2010

Is it not possible for you to contact the Jessops shop where you bought it (or Jessops head office customer service) and explain the situation and see if she can take the camera into a local Jessops store for attention

HondaMan 10:13 27 Sep 2010

I think the answer lies in your question, "I purchased a Fuji Finepix XP 10 on 26th June 2010". The contract with the shop is yours. Therefore, in my view, you should be the one to tackle Jessops. The law says that if a problem appears within 6 months of purchase, the vendor is liable.

Search for either trading standards, or consumer direct. You are entitled to a repair or refund.

spuds 12:56 27 Sep 2010

The sale was via your credit card, so in consumer law, you should deal with the problem. If Jessop's are the same as previously, a short telephone call to their customer services will soon resolve the issue. Your credit card company would also be responsible under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

You could contact Consumer Direct click here for further advice regarding 'gifting' an item, as I do believe the law might have changed in the consumers favour now.

AFoxyLady 16:55 27 Sep 2010

Called Jessops head office on their freephone telephone. The guy there was very polite, but I am not sure he was 100% sure! He advised me to send credit card receipt and box to Daughter and get her to go into the local Jessops. They will then send it off for repair.

I have just called Consumer Direct ( found the web site say no to 0870!so was able to use my mobile within my call package) and they will be calling me back either tonight by 6.30 or tomorrow sometime.

Watch this space and I will let you know what they advise.

Many thanks for all the help and pointers

Tessa

HondaMan 12:13 28 Sep 2010

"He advised me to send credit card receipt and box to Daughter and get her to go into the local Jessops"

It is your contract - not your daughters. If there is to be a refund it HAS to go onto the card used for the purchase.

Get her to send you the camers and you take it back, preferably to the branch where you bought it, and deal with it there.

HondaMan 09:17 08 Oct 2010

Any update on this problem?

AFoxyLady 11:13 09 Oct 2010

Hi sorry, for not updating sooner. Consumer Direct advised me to send a recorded delivey letter explaining the situation, to the Jessops branch in Bournemouth that I purchased the camera from.

In the end I got camera returned direct to myself and wen tover to Bournemouth. They have taken it in and sent it off for repair, but did advise me that i coudhave returned it to any branch. They also said that if it had been dropped it would not be covered. We shall see.

I am concerned that they state if it had been dropped it would not be repaired, as it is sold and marketed as a waterproof camera up to 10mtr and shockproof up to 1 mtr.

As soon as I have the camera back I will post an up date.

spuds 13:30 09 Oct 2010

I think 'shockproof up to 1 metre' would perhaps cover you, if Jessops rejected your claim.

But having said that, it might pay to get in touch with the manufacturer's support for confirmation regarding 'shockproof'. Dropping it in water at 1 metre might not cause any damage, but dropping it off the back of a moving lorry at 1 metre would!.

Jessops have gone through many changes over recent years, including ownership and management. So styles of customer service might differ slightly from the old days?.

HondaMan 12:06 28 Nov 2010

Anything new to report?

AFoxyLady 12:58 28 Nov 2010

Hi There

Sorry - I totally forgot!

To summarise. I kept in contact with the Bournemouth store as this was where I returned the camera. I asked for it to be returned to my local store though, and this caused a few admin problems.

Cut a long story short, I ended up getting a brand new replacement camera identical to the one handed in for repair.

I had been advised when I handed it in that I would have it returned by the time I went on holiday (giving them around 5 weeks). I chased it up several times, and was informed that it would be in Poole by Tuesday 2nd November at the latest( I flew out on holiday on Wednesday 3rd) I called Tuesday morning, and was told that the camera was not going to be delivered... Had they lost it?

I don't know, all I know was I received a brand new replacement.

I have to say that both Bournemouth and Poole staff were very helpful all the time.

Daughter now has new camera - but has jacked in Uni!

Many thanks for all the help and advise I received. No doubt I shall be back for more very soon.

Tessa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone