It's cheaper to buy a new printer !

cocteau48 11:58 08 Jan 2008

I have just returned from browsing in Tesco where I noticed that the cost of the replacemnent ink cartridges for my now 2 year old Lexmark 3-in-one were £12.97 each for colour and black. (The fact that this may not be the best price available is not my point)
On the end of the aisle is a large display of Lexmark 3-in-one printers,probably not the latest spec but certainly newer than my model - and the price - £24.99. So it is cheaper for me to throw away a perfectly usable printer and buy a new one rather than replace the two cartridges.
Without getting involved in any discussions on loss leaders and recouping the cost over subsequent cartridge purchases etc.etc. the point that I would make is that in a world when we are supposed to be going green ,watching our carbon footprint and saving the planet how can such a profligate waste of resources be justified.

Stuartli 12:10 08 Jan 2008

This situation has been in existence for quite a number of years...:-)

Taff™ 12:24 08 Jan 2008

I`m pretty certain that cartridges included with some new printers are less than full. Friend of mine had a new Epson in November and two weeks later the colour cart ran out and had to be replaced. He`s still using the replacement set and he claims he hasn`t varied his printing habits.

Stuartli 12:34 08 Jan 2008

Your suspicions are perfectly correct about some new printers being supplied with cartridges housing smaller levels of ink than normal.

gardener 12:57 08 Jan 2008

Try looking for replacement cartridges at somewhere like Choice Stationery. I get my Epson Stylus Color 740 compatibles from them and they work out at about £3.50 each. If you're not bothered about super-duper printing quality like me then they're perfectly adequate.

click here

cocteau48 13:05 08 Jan 2008

I fully appreciate that the cartridges which are supplied with a printer are only moderate yield but the cartridge prices which I quoted were for moderate yield as well. The Tesco own brand but high yield cartridges are something like £18.00 each.

You are quite correct Stuartli in saying that this situation has been in existence for a number of years but now we are all coming under pressure to abandon that throwaway culture that has been the status quo.

anchor 13:47 08 Jan 2008

I buy replacement cartridges for my Epson 895 from Choice Stationery. I must say that in my opinion the results are equally as good as I get from genuine Epson ones.

However, as they cost only about £3.80 each, (as against about £20 each), I save a fortune and still get excellent prints.

cocteau48 14:02 08 Jan 2008

I've had a look at the Choice Stationary cartridges and their prices are £12.25 for myLexmark but that will be for the high yield rather than the moderate yield so there is a significant saving. Thanks for the lead.

sunny staines 16:11 08 Jan 2008

anyone recommend decent place for hp cartridges please.

pj123 16:48 08 Jan 2008

sunny staines, again Choice Stationery and at the moment they are doing 25 percent off all ink cartridges and other stuff:

click here

Voucher code is CP9031 and valid up to midnight 14th January 2008.

Stuartli 23:11 08 Jan 2008

This is the cheapest place I know (along with 7DayShop):

click here

A full set of six compatible inkjet cartridges for my Epson R300 costs a few pence over £4 including VAT.

I buy several sets at a time to make the most of the CityLink delivery charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?