Its that 91 year old again

v1asco 21:26 13 Jan 2006

First off thanks for all your marvellous comments. Even though I closed the thread they keep coming.

Due to unforeseen circumstances it is not possible to get a computer for Dad just yet. However, we are going to encourage him to dabble at night school or library.

What I was wondering is there a way to get the net on just a TV hook up. I know NTL do it, but only with email.

This maybe a suitable way to kick start his interest.

Ta all

Taffy

wjrt 21:57 13 Jan 2006

click here

e-bay would appear to be the way but reviews are 50/50 so look and see

Stuartli 23:58 13 Jan 2006

Using a TV set as a monitor is not to be recommended, especially for those of advanced age - a television set can never match the resolution quality of a computer monitor, particularly with regard to text.

Biotech 10:45 14 Jan 2006

They might have a 42" plasma screen for all you know. Not all elderly people have bad vision.

Forum Editor 11:06 14 Jan 2006

No, but most of them do, and we're talking about someone who's 91 years old - I think Stuartli's comment is entirely valid - TV screens do not make for comfortable web browsing.

v1asco 11:14 14 Jan 2006

Stuartli & FE. I will say that this is a non-starter. Dad has had Laser surgery and his vision is better than mine now, but it I guess it could lead to eye strain.

Biotech - wish he did have!! He would get loads of visitors.

Cybermaxx 11:21 14 Jan 2006

Must mention the fact that I spent my first two years of web surfing using a tv set.............connected to a SEGA Dreamcast games console. It had a built in 34k modem. I wouldn't recommend it now, though!

Biotech 12:04 14 Jan 2006

Well good luck anyway. If you do get a plasma don't mention it here as somebody will tell you it causes genital warts or someother doomesday messages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?