It is not often that I praise companies but.......

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:52 26 Aug 2008

I ordered some sticks of RAM for a few Dells on Sunday evening from Crucial. Not expecting to receive them for a few days due to the bank holiday, I opted for the 3-5 days free delivery. Well, stab my vitals, they arrived early this morning. I am truly aghast.

G

ventanas 16:56 26 Aug 2008

Same thing happened with me and my Dell laptop.
I chose the 3-5 day like you, eschewing the extra for next day, and they arrived next day.

I no longer have the machine, it got dropped quite heavily, but I do still have the memory - 3Gb in total. It was an Inspiron 1501. Is this memory any use to you, if so you can have it?
Mail me if interested.

version8 17:16 26 Aug 2008

Just proves why so many people use Crucial!

wherty 17:43 26 Aug 2008

I have always been happy with Crucial.By the way I think the RAM probably came from Scotland and unlike England Monday was not a public holiday.Nevertheless well done Crucial.

spuds 17:56 26 Aug 2008

I think this takes a bit of beating. On the 13 May 2008 I was seeking to purchase a laptop. Tried Dell, with no success, then looked at Ebuyers website and saw a possible laptop and other extra accessories for the laptop. Due to a query I then phoned the Ebuyer help and sales line at just after 7.30pm (closes 8pm?). Got everything sorted with the sales/technical guy including free delivery arrangement. At 9.30am the next day,on the 14th, Business Link was at my premises with all the items that had been ordered approx 14 hours earlier.

If some companies like Crucial, Ebuyer, Amazon can provide this type of service, why cannot the others?.

Forum Editor 19:06 26 Aug 2008

defines the word efficiency. It's difficult to imagine how an online retailer could provide a better customer service.

Forum Editor 19:15 26 Aug 2008

That certainly takes some beating. I've also had superb service from Ebuyer, and Amazon has become a legend in its own lifetime - I can't envisage Christmas without Amazon.

Other companies could do it, but it means efficiency from the top down, every single person in the business has to have the same attitude. That's achieved by motivating people, and doing it takes skill and determination. Amazon's secret is to get the business so finely tuned that it never needs to speak to its customers - I've dealt with the company for years, and ordered hundreds of items without once speaking to anyone. If you don't have dissatisfied customers you don't need expensive customer-service departments. Amazon puts its money into the web site and the warehousing facility - it's all about fulfilment.

GRIDD 21:50 26 Aug 2008

"I've dealt with the company for years, and ordered hundreds of items without once speaking to anyone."

I've never actually thought about it but it's true of my dealings with Amazon and indeed it's quite amazing when you think about it.

€dstowe 22:00 26 Aug 2008

I've written recently praising eBuyer and I also agree with FE about Amazon. Another excellent supplier is Maplin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie