ISPs loading remote control programs to fix?

setecio 08:26 09 May 2008

What do you think of the practice some ISPs use of fixing your PC where they get you to load a remote access program so that they can have access to your PC to fix it.

You don't know the person and what is to stop them accessing anytime in the future if you didn't uninstall it.

My view is no way are you loading that sort of stuff onto my PC.

Pine Man 08:59 09 May 2008

I have just moved to O2 and as part of their set up a 'broadband assistant' is loaded onto your PC, which is the sort of thing I think you are referring to. However, what O2 also do is give you instructions on how to remove it if you are not happy.

Seems fair to me and an ideal way of sorting out any problems, particularly with a new installation.

spuds 09:16 09 May 2008

In all fairness its a good idea, especially if you are not computer troubleshooting competent.And you are aware this is happening.

But looking at it in another light, didn't Microsoft have their knuckles slapped due to their methods on installing a certain program on other peoples property!.

Taff™ 09:54 09 May 2008

It`s a question of choice and trust. These types of programmes allow a remote technician to make alterations to your PC setup before your very eyes. It`s a service that even PC World are charging their customers for. I use Crossloop in the same manner with my customers and it has proved invaluable to both parties. It will also save a lot of time because the technician can see your computer and save asking loads of questions and issuing instructions to you. As has been said, you can delete the program afterwards but I don`t believe a technician can access your computer at will or without your permission.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017