ION USB Turntable

alicevelyn 20:45 26 Sep 2006

A couple of weeks ago I saw the above turntable advertised in the paper. This can be used to transfer your vinyl records to CDs MP3s etc and can copy 33, 45 and 78 rpm records. It uses "Audacity" software and a single USB cable. For someone like me who is not mechanically minded this would seem to be an ideal product but I wonder if anyone else has used it and if it is any good.

Stuartli 22:52 26 Sep 2006

Although it would certainly make life easier, it's not cheap (these days you can buy top brand turntables for a third of the price).

There are, in fact, two versions:

click here

Rogerfredo 10:03 01 Oct 2006

I personally would not go for this option.
For HI-Fi sound you need to buy the correct cartridge (for the tone arm) and the turntable needs to revolve accurately to avoid variations in tone called "wow and flutter".
There is no spec listed for this turntable.
Also, it is very expensive.
You could pick up a good quality conventional unit at a car boot sale (loads of second hand about) for about £5.
Connection to your sound card is easy although you may need to get a pre-amp (about £20 max).
Incidentally, I would go for a direct drive turntable if poss, as belt drives tend to rot after a period.

sean-278262 12:50 01 Oct 2006

If you have an DAP (mp3 player to most people) then you may be able to use the line in recording option. This I find is a better option as the player is designed to do this more than your soundcard is.

Stuartli 13:33 01 Oct 2006

Not the drives...:-)

I think you possibly mean that the belt stretches in time with use and then needs replacing, as with my Thorens 160.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?