Internet refund - is this a scam?

puma22 19:14 20 Jul 2005

Hi, I am trying to get a refund from an internet firm. They already have CC details as they have charged me. The want, via e-mail the 3 digit security number from the back of the card before they will process the refund.
Does anyone know whether this sounds legit?
Cheers

pj123 19:33 20 Jul 2005

Yes, most purchases via credit/debit card ask for the 3 digit number on the back of the card. I have not had any problems with that. If you entered that number when making the purchase though I don't see why they should need to ask you for it again before crediting your card account.

pj123 19:35 20 Jul 2005

PS. I think I would ring the credit/debit card company and ask for their advice.

stalion 19:41 20 Jul 2005

it is not safe to send your details by email if they have a secure site for entering such details they should be entered there as pj123
contact the first

spuds 23:21 20 Jul 2005

Doe's the internet firm have a contact telephone number, if so, try and telephone them.

As pj123 states, most traders will require the 3 digit code from the back of the card, for authorisation from the credit card company. Do not send all the card details, if the site shows as insecure [no https and padlock]

puma22 13:16 21 Jul 2005

thanks for the advice everyone. I took the advice of my CC provider and phoned the required number through

Dizzy Bob 19:24 21 Jul 2005

The three digit Card Security Code is purely used to make sure you actually have the card, and are not just reading the details from a reciept or imprint. That is why it is on the back, and not embossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?