Internet for PDAs, and iPAQ recommendations

Handy Spinner 20:34 12 Aug 2006

Hi all,

A friend of mine has expressed a desire to get an iPAQ. Not knowing a lot about them, he has asked me for some advice. Unfortunately, my experience with PDAs is pretty much limited to a little bit with Pocket PC 2002 on a Compaq iPAQ 3950. So I'd be grateful of your help in choosing one for him that will be suitable for his needs!

His main interests in having an iPAQ are as follows:

1) Microsoft Pocket Word - I told him I thought this was pretty much ubiquitous, am I correct?

2) Ubiquitous internet - I really could do with assistance on this point. First of all, is roaming internet possible? How does it work? How does one pay for it? What about email? And so on, and so on. I've got little idea of what is currently available in this field presently.

3) Facilities for programming - I am on slightly firmer ground here; I believe I'd need an iPAQ capable of running a database utility and/or one which will run the .NET Compact Framework 2.0. I'm guessing that'll be usual, though.

4) Something that costs about £250 - £300.

I don't suppose he would be set on having an iPAQ in particular, but iPAQs would probably be my favoured choice.

Can anyone assist me? Help would be very much appreciated!

sean-278262 20:43 12 Aug 2006

1) Microsoft Pocket Word - I told him I thought this was pretty much ubiquitous, am I correct?
-I have never seen one without it or some compatable equivalent.

2) Ubiquitous internet - I really could do with assistance on this point. First of all, is roaming internet possible? How does it work? How does one pay for it? What about email? And so on, and so on. I've got little idea of what is currently available in this field presently.
- For email you are talking smart phones, these are expensive. (Tmobile do a fair few of them on contract) as for how it works I really dont know about other PDAs but the smart phones use GPRS or other GSM protocols to do it.

3) Facilities for programming - I am on slightly firmer ground here; I believe I'd need an iPAQ capable of running a database utility and/or one which will run the .NET Compact Framework 2.0. I'm guessing that'll be usual, though.
- What programming?

4) Something that costs about £250 - £300.
- Really depends what they use the thing for and how often, as on that budget it may not be possible to get a smart phone. However do look over ebay.

A

Handy Spinner 20:47 12 Aug 2006

Programming - probably databases, mainly for out-of-office data entry, which would then update the main database when connected to the main computer again.

Will smart phones also provide internet access?

sean-278262 22:04 12 Aug 2006

Smart phones are phones that cross the boarder of a PDA/mobile phone. So yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?