Internet Fraud - banks & responsibility

g0slp 09:30 13 Nov 2004

This on The Times' front page this morning

click here

Just thought you'd all like to know...

Al94 09:34 13 Nov 2004

Seems fair enough.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:37 13 Nov 2004

The gist of the story is that banks will refuse to pay where the scam is obvious. They should not be held responsible for the blind stupidity of dim people. Each person has a certain amount of self responsibility.

A recent case was where a gormless person, selling a clapped out mini, agreed to pay £2600 shipping costs to Aussie...if he had just sat down and thought why for 2 seconds that someone would want an undistinguished car......

I, for one, wholeheartedly agree, in the case of obvious scams they should forfeit their money as they cannot be trusted with it.

G

CurlyWhirly 14:15 13 Nov 2004

I don't know whether I am being TOO cautious but when I go to my Cahoot online bank I no longer just click on a 'link' in my Favourites but I actually type in 'Cahoot' in the Google search engine due to all the scare stories to do with 'phishing' i.e. fake banking websites.

Dorsai 14:16 13 Nov 2004

I cant agree more with that banks view point. It's my Money, surly I am responsible for it too?

If the bank give it to somone else, with out my say so, that is their error, and i will want it back.

But if I foolishly give it away myself, why should the bank give it back? They did nothing wrong.

Sir Radfordin 17:43 13 Nov 2004

I would have said you were more likely to put yourself at risk using google than you are typing in the correct URL.

There is no way of knowing if a 'fake' site has ended up in googles rankings or not. You are only really safest when you directly type in the URL each time.

Someday someone will work out how direct you to a false page even when you do that but for now you should be safe.

For years I've had the gateway login page bookmarked for two online banks I use and not had any problems.

Look for the padlock and the https and check the certifcates and you'll be fine.

phil 18:09 13 Nov 2004

One answer could be that when you sign up with an internet bank you receive from them an encryption software programme.

Then, when they send out an email to you it will be in encrypted form and can only be read by yourself.

If you then receive an un-encrypted email you delete it because it's obviously not come from your bank.

You might say "what is there to stop the 'phishers' from using the same programme"?

The answer to that is the software you receive programmed with your own personal code.

This is possibly one very good way of making both the bank and the customer more secure.

Any other ideas?

blanco 18:21 13 Nov 2004

I have no problem with the Bank's view on this. It's been made clear enough that they will never ask for personal details to be sent to them by email.

What is more worrying, however, is the other report today that the OFT's attempt to ensure that credit card lenders joint responsibility in the event of loss after purchases of over £100 should apply equally to purchases made abroad.
The High Court has rejected this and say that it applies to purchases in the UK only.

The OFT is considering an appeal, in the meantime the Banks seem to be playing it cool and say claims for purchases outside of the UK will be dealt with on their merits.

CurlyWhirly 20:39 13 Nov 2004

There is no way of knowing if a 'fake' site has ended up in googles rankings or not. You are only really safest when you directly type in the URL each time.

Thanks for replying.
When you say type in the URL each time do you mean like for example click here?
Normally I just type 'Cahoot log-in' in Google.
Am I doing wrong here please anyone?

Sir Radfordin 23:59 13 Nov 2004

If you always type the URL as given by your bank into the address bar, short of you making a spelling mistake, you know you will always end up at the right site. If you then check you have the padlock (in IE) and https at the login you will know you are going to a secure website. That is the safest way to do things.

g0slp 08:32 14 Nov 2004

The real question, though, is how to get the message across to those less savvy than most of this forum's users?

The greedy deserve all they get, but what about the newbies who get these phishing emails?

I think that (for example) if a keylogger got onto someone's machine & they lost the contents of their bank account, it would be difficult to stand up to the banks too. OK, there's the view that if they had up to date AV/firewall & didn't open dodgy emails then the keylogger wouldn't have got into their machine, but where do you draw the line? We know how easy it is for slimeware/malware to get in.

It's a difficult thing to resolve.

How should net security be encouraged, WITHOUT the 'shock-horror' media hype?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?