International Warranties

NotVeryTechie 16:26 13 Feb 2008

Hi there

Me again. A number of manufacturers advertise travellers warranties (e.g. Acer, Toshiba). Are these true warranties - i.e. if I buy a machine today and then move to South Africa tomorrow and the thing doesn't work, will they really honour the warranty? Anyone have experience of this? Are any of the manufacturers known for not doing a good job on this?

Clapton is God 16:48 13 Feb 2008

"if I buy a machine today and then move to South Africa tomorrow and the thing doesn't work, will they really honour the warranty?"

Yes

But you may have to pay to ship it from South Africa to the UK (or wherever the manufacturer undertakes repairs)

NotVeryTechie 17:04 13 Feb 2008

Ok, major problem there! If I ship it from SA to here to get it fixed - fine. If they ship it back to me I will probably end up paying a huge amount in import duty. Not to mention that shipping internationally is EXTREMELY expensive. This is not an option. I am talking about Travellers Warranties - would Acer fix an Acer in another country where they do have support but where you didn't buy computer? That is the question (or Toshiba or whoever else)

Forum Editor 18:00 13 Feb 2008

and then you move to South Africa a Traveler's warranty will be of no use whatsoever - these warranties are for people who are working abroad, or who are on holiday for up to three months at any one time. They do not apply if you establish even a temporary residence in another country.

I travel on business all the time, and I always have a laptop with me, but I don't bother about warranties - if the machine breaks down whilst I'm abroad I'll wait until I'm home before trying to do anything about it. It's never happened, by the way.

If you're planning to move to S.A. I suggest that you wait until you're there, then buy your laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017