Intel modems on XP Pro

bythor 14:57 29 Aug 2004

I bought a new Aries from Savastore about six weeks ago. It runs XP Pro and has the Intel internal modem. I had problems both with interference on the line when the modem was plugged in, and could only get connection speeds of 26k.
Savastore kindly sent me another modem (same type) and allowed me to open the pc to swap them out. However, the same problem exists.
I've put in the modem out of my old W98 pc and everything is fine, with connction speeds of typically 46-50k every time.
I need to get back to Savastore about it, but am keen to know what my rights are here, just in case. By looking at the forums, this could be a known fault with the Intel modems and XP.

Totally-braindead 16:52 29 Aug 2004

I don't think its likely to be a fault between the modem and XP pro because my PC has XP pro and had a cheap Intel modem and ran it no bother, speeds of 47-50k. I wonder how the modem is set, are you positive its using the right driver? Are you using the modem driver disk which came with the modem or are you allowing XP to use its own driver. My Intel modem just used the XP pro driver and ran perfectely. The only other things I can think of are the Aries modem is faulty or something about the design of it doesn't like something about your phone line or theres a problem between the motherboard and the modem. Considering Savastore build hundreds of these and presumably haven't had a problem before I would be inclined towards the incorrect driver being installed or something wrong with the modem.

woodchip 21:44 29 Aug 2004

I fitted a New Intel modem in a Computer and could only get 28.000bps. I tried different settings etc nothing worked. Then I loaded a Older Driver and it now connects at 45.600bps This is the name of the driver

NBK001773_XP_Modem_2_30_2052_0.exe

woodchip 21:49 29 Aug 2004

I fitted a New Intel modem in a Computer and could only get 28.000bps. I tried different settings etc nothing worked. Then I loaded a Older Driver and it now connects at 45.600bps This is the name of the driver

NBK001773_XP_Modem_2_30_2052_0.exe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone