Insurance Claim Replacement Laptop

Stockyboi 16:19 05 May 2015

My insurance company has offered to replace my old HP Pavilion DV7-4131SA laptop with an HP ProBook 470 G2 G6W60EA. I'm not convinced that this is the nearest match that they suggest.

My main concern is that I'm being offered a business led laptop in place of the entertainment based Pavilion, and as such I question the graphics compatibility in particular. The Pavilion is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphics (switchable) whereas the ProBook is Intel HD Graphics 4400 & Dedicated AMD Radeon R5 M255.

I'm also concerned that I'm losing some entertainment features including sound quality and memory card input. I welcome any advice and suggestions for a more suitable replacement. Thanks!

wee eddie 20:10 05 May 2015

You use the word "old" but do not say "how old". You Insurance Company is allowed to take cognisance of the use you have had from the machine that they are replacing.

I would suggest that, should you have had it for 4 years, you might be offered, say, 25% of the original purchase price

Stockyboi 07:40 06 May 2015

Thanks for your input wee eddie and Beta. My insurance company say that the replacement is the nearest equivalent laptop in terms of specification. I was more interested in the comparable specifications of the two laptops.

alanrwood 10:05 06 May 2015

Why not just agree a price with the insurance company and then go and buy what you want by adding whatever is needed in excess to get what you want. Check if your insurance is on a New replacement basis or on current value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?