Installing XP on Netbook

Baz48 18:27 18 Dec 2010

I need a netbook solely for viewing movies in divX format and for running a mapping program. Unfortunately the mapping program will not run on Windows 7. As XP netbooks are thin on the ground will it be easy to either dual install XP/Win7 or just straight XP? Does Win7 have a compatibility mode that might run the mapping prog?

If I formatted the HD to install XP, how would the USB drivers be installed to enable use of a usb dvd drive?

Cheers
Barry

GaT7 18:44 18 Dec 2010

"will it be easy to either dual install XP/Win7" - yes, shouldn't be a problem, but the hard drive would need to be divided into at least 2 partitions, with the XP install going on first (preferably).

"Does Win7 have a compatibility mode that might run the mapping prog?" - I doubt the Win7 (being Starter edition) that usually comes with most netbooks will have a compatibility/XP Mode. But anything better (Home Premium & better) can be made to run XP Mode (basically a virtual XP PC within Win7) with the help of the free VMLite click here. Not sure how a netbook will cope with XP mde though, so the dual-booting option may be better.

"If I formatted the HD to install XP, how would the USB drivers be installed to enable use of a usb dvd drive?" - should be automatically taken care of by XP, but if not, a USB flash drive can be used to do this. If you don't have one, they are available starting at under £5 click here. Also check on Amazon. G

Baz48 20:36 18 Dec 2010

If you think that XP needs to go on first in a dual operating system then I may as well just put XP on there as I'm not really bothered about 7.

"should be automatically taken care of by XP, but if not, a USB flash drive can be used to do this."- I have plenty of flash drives but how do I get the netbook to actually look for a boot disk or usb drivers if it dosn't know it has a usb port? Does the bios take care of this or am I being a bit thick?

Baz48 20:53 18 Dec 2010

OK I have just found out that the usb connection is one of the bootable drives in the BIOS. I have only ever had PC's that need usb drivers that are installed with the operating system.

Cheers
Barry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?