inexpensive pc's

sonialisa 19:37 10 Sep 2009

i'm looking to purchase a very inexpensive pc...
i was considering a compac deskpro en 6500, model 10000 cds piii.

i am a complete neophyte when it comes to these matters. i only use a computer for storing photos and social networking, nothing major.

the question is, would this pc be adequate for these tasks and would it come with everything i need to set up and begin using immediately? (i have a monitor and speakers)

thanks for any advice. i'm looking in the $150.00 range. yeah, i know, thats not alot of $

OTT_Buzzard 19:59 10 Sep 2009

Blimey, it's a while since i've seen a desktop for sale with specs that old!

I think you'd do better to buy a second hand netbook, say 12-24 months old. It does partly depend on what $ currency you mean though (canadian, US, Oz etc)

sonialisa 20:08 10 Sep 2009

ummmm, so i'm assuming thats a no?

$150 us currency

OTT_Buzzard 20:44 10 Sep 2009

At the level spec you're talkng about, your biggest problem will be getting software to run on it.

Try something like these:

click here

click here

click here

sonialisa 20:49 10 Sep 2009

prices look good....
however, i've never purchased electronics via ebay.

i dont want to sound whinney(altho i know thats how its coming off as) would you trust these purchases?

btw...i appreciate your time!

OTT_Buzzard 20:54 10 Sep 2009

Well, there's probably a thousand people an hour or more that do trust these purchases. On very rare occasions it includes myself (not because of any distrust, I just don't like ebay!).

Pay by Paypal and if possible use a credit card. That should get you a reasonable buyer protection.

It's second hand goods so exact condition is never really known until you receive the goods. On the whole, I tend to find most sellers are honest about the condition of goods.

Others will have had bad experiences and be very vocal about it. The vast majority of transactions go through without any issues. Check the sellers feedback before buying (i didn't check before i gave the links)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?