I'm thinking of switching to tiscali....

woofwoofbark 15:40 28 Nov 2006

I have a few months still ro run on my BT Total Brodband package but I'm wanting to switch to a provider that gives unlimited usage , my BT package limits me to 50gig per month and have noticed that Tiscali is unlimited , which is cool !
But my main point is ....

BT give gives me speeds of 8128 kbps Downstream and 448 Upstream , regular speed tests show I get around 6000 Down and 370 Up ... anyway ..

What speeds do Tiscali give and do they include a modem/router ?

thanks for any info

NotSoTechnical

Stuartli 15:44 28 Nov 2006

It's not strictly unlimited - read the Fair Usage Policy.

woofwoofbark 15:47 28 Nov 2006

are you with tiscali upto 8mb ? if so what speeds do they give for that package , 8128 Down/448 Up from BT , if they compare then I'll be happy to switch.

Stuartli 16:21 28 Nov 2006

I used to be with Tiscali (had been since WorldOnline days), but switched to TalkTalk last April as I had got fed up with Tiscali's poor speeds and service.

It's a long story...:-)

TalkTalk's current 2MB service (up to 8MB due next February for me) is consistently around 1.85 to 1.9MB speed, about as good as you can get with such a service.

Jackcoms 16:39 28 Nov 2006

"if so what speeds do they give for that package"

It's nothing to do with the ISP.

It will depend on a number of factors such as your distance from the exchange, the quality of your local BT lines (and those in your house) and local contention ratios.

I'm with Tiscali and, unlike Stuartli, I'm perfectly happy with their service.

I use their 2Mb service and my average download speeds are 1.91Mb click here

Stuartli 16:48 28 Nov 2006

In fact it is - Tiscali's speeds ranged from around 256kbps to 1.9MB at times when I was on its 2MB service.

I'm less than 600 yards from the exchange and my BT line is spot on.

Tiscali, around a year ago, suggested I dropped down to 1MB from a perfectly good 2MB service after its "service enhancements" at my local exchange ruined my speeds because, it claimed, my line would not support 2MB.

Within 72 hours of me doing so, the Upgrade/Downgrade service on its website, which had dropped to only 1MB being available, suddenly revealed that a 2MB was, in fact, available but at a higher price...:-)

Eventually I did get back on the 2MB service but, because I had become so disillusioned, the TalkTalk offer became overwhelmingly attractive.

What's more I save around £15 a month on previous costs for broadband and phone services.

Stuartli 16:53 28 Nov 2006

The Advertising Standards Association is currently investigating my complaint that I consider Tiscali's advertising in recent months to have been misleading.

The ASA would not do so unless it considered there was a case to answer.

Jackcoms 16:56 28 Nov 2006

Horses for courses, I guess.

In fact, for some reason, I've suddenly seen a jump in speed and have been averaging nearer 1.94Mb (not 1.91Mb) since the beginning of September - I'm more than happy (famous last words).

alB 17:44 28 Nov 2006

In my experience you'd be better off staying put with BT, at times the speed I get with Tiscali is very good but more often than not it's quite hopeless, as soon as my contract is up I'm off to a new ISP (probably BT), just as a matter of interest, do you really need more than a 50gig a month allowance? ...alB

Mike D 18:44 28 Nov 2006

I'm with Stuartli on this one. Tiscali also provided me with service enhancements which slowed everything to a crawl. They blamed BT, the line and the distance from the exchange (I can see the exchange from my window!). Now with BT and regularly getting 6.3 - 6.5 mbps.

Mike

harps1h 18:57 28 Nov 2006

tend to agree here with you. i am on tiscali purely because Talk Talk couldn't connect me at my new home last december as it was a new development. as such it wasn't on the database of their system and a postcode is required by them. i joined tiscali out of frustration but i have found their speeds well below what i should be getting and like Mike D i could throw a stone at the exchange. do a test on the bt site and i should be able to acheive a figure of 7 mb but in reality with tiscali my speed never exceeds 1.9/2.4 according to the adslguide speed test. i should add that i have upgraded to the 8mb package. i never have used their CS so to comment on that would be unfair

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?