I'm not best pleased with BT.

Forum Editor 21:35 27 Jun 2010

I have more than one landline at home, and on one of them I have for some time subscribed to the package that allows free calls to local UK numbers after 6:00p.m.

It's been useful - my wife chats to her sister and other family members in the evening.

Now I discover that on April 1st this year BT pushed the free evening calling time back from 6:00pm. to 7:00pm, and didn't warn me in advance - at least I have no recollection of seeing anything. As a resultI am facing some unexpected and hefty call charges, and I have reason to believe I'm not alone.

Anyone else in the same predicament?

exdragon 21:42 27 Jun 2010

Hate to say it, but I had a letter from them prior to the change and there was also a fair bit in the press about it, along the lines of, 'How dare they...'. I seem to remember it was also on their website.

rdave13 21:47 27 Jun 2010

I think that someone also published the fact on these boards also. I can't find the thread though.

Forum Editor 22:10 27 Jun 2010

I must have been asleep. Like the thousands of others who have apparently complained they weren't notified. If a company wants to alter the terms of a contract it must notify you in advance, so perhaps I overlooked this BT letter.

anniesboy 22:40 27 Jun 2010

I had an email from BT on Jan 28th informing me ,of the change didn't take any notice .I have free calls any-time.

spuds 23:05 27 Jun 2010

At the time BT were informing people of a change in conditions, they were asking me to return back to their fold, with some incentives on offer. Needless to say, I remained with my present ISP, who provides better 'freebies and cheaper rates'.

Sorry FE, on this occasion it was well published, so you must have missed it. If you check out the new deal, it may mean that you will lose out on 2 hours per day, compared to previously.

The next thing to worry about, is whether BT engineers go on strike, which they are considering doing. That will definitely make a mess of internet services, for nearly everyone.

Forum Editor 23:31 27 Jun 2010

"Sorry FE, on this occasion it was well published"

Well, I accept that it was published, and that I missed it, but so did many thousands of other people. According to The Guardian the information about the changes were 'tucked away at the bottom' of an email that was mostly concerned with telling you what a wonderful service you were getting.

The bit at the bottom said: "We are also making some changes to your BT service. We'd also like to make you aware of some changes to our prices, terms and conditions, effective from 1st April 2010. These include changing what we define as the evening call period for all types of calls: at the moment from 6pm-6am, but changing to 7pm-7am."

That's the email - the letter that was sent out apparently went to even greater lengths to hide the information - it was printed on the reverse side of the letter.

Of course I should have known about it, but I didn't, and I'm far from being the only one. I'll stop ranting now, because there's nothing at all I can do about it.

100andthirty 06:06 28 Jun 2010

A small postcript which really shows we're all human.

There was a huge public response to this change by BT and it was covered by all the national press and the main TV news.

Big L 266 08:12 28 Jun 2010

Hello.

I'm not with BT,but friend who is mentioned it in passing about free call charges being changed from 6pm to 7pm.I told her to ring BT and complain about it which she did and it got her a £30 refund off her next bill.

It pays to complain sometimes.

Big L 266

961 08:59 28 Jun 2010

It's worth considering (especially with more than one line) a package giving free calls at all times. These are often very good value for money, especially bearing in mind that in some households over one third of calls are made in the magic window between 6 and 7pm

For example, Sky customers can get free calls at any time for £5 per month and with use of the Saynoto0870 website rarely need to pay for non geographic calls

Another tip to keep down the costs is for friends and family of those with a 24/7 package to give a couple of rings when they want a ring back call from the one with the free package

961 09:01 28 Jun 2010

....and for those with friends abroad the sky package includes free calls to many overseas countries including Europe and North America whereas BT charges for these calls even with its package deals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?