I'm google eyed

961 10:15 01 May 2009

I seem to have acquired a vertical strip of google adverts across the right hand side of this form, stopping me reading much of the content of the thread

Is this new, PC Advisor inspired, or have I clicked on something on the google search page to launch this

How do I get rid?

Clapton is God 15:32 01 May 2009

There is a vertical strip of adverts (hosted by Google) down the right-hand side.

Is that what you mean?

961 16:30 01 May 2009

on many occasions (but not always) the page displays with the strip down the right hand side of the central pane, obscuring the right hand third of the text

Have you increased the font size in your browser settings? That used to happen to me when using the old Firefox.

To check in Internet Explorer, go to view, text size and check it is set as medium.

If you are using an old version of Firefox, press ctrl and 0 together.

I'm not sure how to do it in the new version of Firefox, but if that is what you use then post back and I shall try and find out.

Stuartli 00:26 02 May 2009

You can adjust the font size in Firefox or IE8 by pressing Ctrl and + or - to increase or decrease the size (or alternatively Ctrl + scroll wheel).

I believe that zooms in on the page now, as opposed to changing the actual font size like it did on older versions

Si_L 17:49 02 May 2009

Dave is right - you zoom with Control and scroll wheel (thats the new firefox)#

If the Ads are really bothersome, and you have firefox, use adblock plus (just google search it) and it will block them. Loads the pages faster too.

Stuartli 18:17 02 May 2009

Firefox works for me exactly as I stated at 00:26 (Version 3.0.10)..:-)

For those who are annoyed by them you can, in fact, enlarge the page just enough to get rid of the dark blue sidebands.

Si_L 19:59 02 May 2009

Sorry Stuartli, I missed your post.

I claim no credit for the Ctrl and scroll tip!

If you have Google Chrome, try pressing ctrl and + on there and you will see the difference between enlarging the font and simply zooming in. Enlarging the font does not get rid of the blue bars on this site. Zooming in does. That's the main reason I do not use Chrome since you cannot zoom in.

Stuartli 20:14 02 May 2009

I don't have Chrome, nor do I intend to do so...:-)

Firefox is used for 98 per cent of browsing with IE8 on standby (I also have IEView for FF).

I've been using browsers for around 14 years, so am well aware of the advances made over that period.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone