I want English PCA

powerless 19:33 16 Oct 2003

"Expert Advice in Plain English"

Does it still exist at PCA HQ?

All magazines are experts in one way or another but PCA you tell me in English do I have to consult my glossary from now on?

"Expert advice you can trust" - Why chnage?

(p.s if this has been explained in the mag then have not got it yet)

TOPCAT® 20:09 16 Oct 2003

... that in this politically correct world we live in the old slogan might have ruffled a few feathers. We have to remember that English is not the only spoken language in the United Kingdom.

I fervently hope this was not the case. TC.

bremner 20:12 16 Oct 2003

The latest magazine has also changed to "Expert advice you can trust" on the front cover.

Forum Editor 20:48 16 Oct 2003

things change, sometimes for the better.

I'm sure you'll soon get used to Expert advice you can trust - and take the plain English bit as read.

rickf 14:26 17 Oct 2003

To save cost on printing?

I sometimes feel that these attempts to explain complex technical issues in plain i.e. simple, english is yet another example of dumbing down. If you have no interest in how a computer works you won't be buying computer magazines.If you want to expand your knowledge, then magazines should not shy away from using technical terms.Think about it - if something is explained in very simplistic terms this is fine when you are at the bottom of the learning curve;but once you understand the explanation, do you want to continually read the dumbed down version month are month, or would you rather be taken further up the learning curve.
Much better to leave "computers explained in plain English" to part works, which can be read once and then filed in the attic.
The first computer book I ever purchased was in the Dummies Guide series, but within six months I had outgrown it and actually wanted to delve into the registry, and do all the things the guide warned me not to touch because they were tricky beasts.

Belatucadrus ? 13:25 18 Oct 2003

Fortunately in the UK we have a range of PC magazines covering a range of users of various levels of PC literacy. If you feel that you have progressed beyond the PCA Plain English / Language approach then you can of course change to one of the more in depth publications. But to suggest that a magazine should raise it's level of complexity because you have moved on is simplistic. PC Advisor has a target demographic that covers a good range of users, we know this because it's still being published, while others have fallen by the wayside.
I'm not suggesting that they should avoid technical terms, indeed dumbing down is one of my pet hates, but how can you expect people to improve their computer literacy if somebody doesn't explain the meaning of such terms to them clearly ? In short plain English doesn't have to be dumb and I think PCA have hit a pretty good balance.

Djohn 18:43 18 Oct 2003

I'm still trying to understand the "Dummies Guide" for Office97, only problem is, I'm now using Office XP :o(

canard 12:44 21 Oct 2003

We share our tongue and our big brother has been getting shirty over english dictionaries [wanting more/most/all editing across the pond]. So although as relics of where the sun never sets we feel touchy it is globally more tactful [tho less punchy] to omit the plain english bit.English is almost certainly heading for the not politically correct bin.

PCA ed 13:10 21 Oct 2003

We changed the strapline from 'Expert Advice in Plain English' to 'Expert Advice you can trust' because when we conducted research among prospective readers they assumed the former meant the magazine was very basic, for beginners and not for anyone with any level of technical competance.

Obviously our range is greater than that, so we chose a strap that won't turn away the more experienced user who, we believe, can still learn from PCA.

Does that mean we'll be writing in jargon-laden techno-speak? No.

We'll still do our best to explain what technologies mean for the PC user.

The politcal correctness or incorrectness of the word English hadn't occurred to me. PCA copy is used in seven other countries - some of them erstwhile colonies - and none of them have revolted against PCA's English language empire yet.

rev.bem 14:30 21 Oct 2003

Should that be Mr Ed not PCA ed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?