I want to build my own pc

EhsanA 22:31 26 May 2009

My budget is £500 and I would like to see what components people think I should get, I need at least the following requirements:

Intel core 2 duo
1000GB Hard drive
Vista Home premium
4GB RAM
512 graphics card

please comment on what I can get for that price and what items, I need links please

thanks

Picklefactory 01:36 27 May 2009

I've built a couple of machines now, and found it best to try and build a 'virtual' machine and ask opions here after doing that. There is so much scoope now for the money you are willing to spend, asking members here could bring massive options and bring you no closer to a solution.
I suggest using a reputable vendor eg Ebuyer, Dabs, Cougar or others that are recommended here and elsewhere, then gain opinion on compatibility, quality etc.
memebers will try and help, but I'm not sure there will be many willing to do the legwork for you.

Check out Cougar as a start at least to give you some idea, it's a very friendly site to 'build' your machine.

click here

Picklefactory 01:38 27 May 2009

Time for bed I think, based on the amount of typos in my last post.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Strawballs 04:07 27 May 2009

Unless you are going to use 64bit vista, windows will only use 3.2gig of that 4gig of ram

jack 07:39 27 May 2009

If it is for self satisfaction/custom machine reasons- then fine go for it.

If it is for budgetary reasons then your best bet to line up the sort of spec you need and then look for a base unit that is a near match and let it evolve from there.
Buying components will always work out more expensive.
For example check out what click here have to offer.

ened 07:41 27 May 2009

I have built a few machines now and find this site invaluable for checking compatibility of various components.

click here

They are also pretty reliable and competitive with regards to price.

Novatech would also serve you well if you wanted a barebones system.

interzone55 08:51 27 May 2009

My only recommendation at this point is to use two hard drives - a small one for OS & software and a big one for data.

There's a good reason for this - when your OS inevitably gets corrupted beyond repair, you won't lose everything in the reinstall, and you can easily clone a small drive for restore purposes onto a partition of the large drive...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?