I need a Graphics card NOT for games

Z1100 21:39 28 Nov 2006

It is for image editing.

Mainly TIFF's in the region of 250mg to 2gb so it wants to be a clever card but no gaming speciallity is required.

Which ones should I look at?
Hanx!
K.

sean-278262 23:49 28 Nov 2006

Easy peasy to advise a card but if it is for your budget I do not know. Anything in the quandro or fireGL ranges
click here

click here
something like that would be a cheaper option but anything in the quandro or firegl ranges will be better than a mainstream card. You never said anything about a budget or what you plan to hook them to so I would assume you are new to this from the way you never mentioned it so lower end cards start at about £110

click here

It however comes down to budget and what you plan to connect to.

Confab 12:34 29 Nov 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need to be looking at adding plenty of RAM and not worring about the graphics card

Confab

Z1100 16:53 29 Nov 2006

To the main board? Or to the current card?

If you mean the main board then yes, that will help but the graphics card has got to take a bigger share of the CPU's load that your average GEforce or ATI games card.

As for budget, well £400-£600 notes will be used to obtain the card. With that sort of outlay I could buy a small PC, alas that is no help either.

I just need outside infuence after reading pages and pages of blah! before I buy.

Hanx!
K.

Diemmess 17:15 29 Nov 2006

I have no interest in games but do lots with graphics and photos.

RAM is paramount for multiple applications open and large picture file editing.

I use a really old GeForce4 mx440 which gives a splendid display and doesn't zap anything else to perform.
These days a similar card would be at a budget price and all you need.

Joe R 18:06 29 Nov 2006

Z1100,
If it is mainly for image editing, the graphics card is not really a major issue. As Diemmess has stated, almost any graphics card will suffice, and as I can also attest to, the more ram, the quicker the editing.

If I could also say, a high class monitor ( if you don't already have one ), would, along with some more ram, be perhaps a more fitting way to use your budget.
Enjoy your new equipment, and you'll no doubt find, that you lose a lot of hours without realising it.

Regards Joe.

Bebee 19:56 29 Nov 2006

I have recently changed an old mx440, but only because it struggled with a new monitor when turned to portrait for photo editing. The new card is 128 instead of 64Mb, has a DVI connection and manages the change in orientation better. It was only £50. You do not need to spend any more if it is not for gaming - and without that problem I would not have upgraded. More RAM does have a much greater effect.

Brett

terryf 20:52 29 Nov 2006

Don't forget that Winxp 32 bit won't see more than 3GB of ram

Z1100 21:01 29 Nov 2006

Are you suggesting I should climb to 2gb RAM and keep the current GEForce 6800?

Hanx!
K.

Joe R 21:46 29 Nov 2006

Z1100,

A 6800, has all the power you need (and more), for image editing.

GaT7 21:57 29 Nov 2006

Z1100, you can have my Radeon 9700 & 1Gb RAM (PC3200) for the 6800.

The only trouble is (apart from you agreeing to the swap) that the RAM comes in 4x 256Mb modules : (. Does anyone do a RAM expansion board?! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?