I need a computer for my grandmother

MikeBEcho 14:06 25 Jul 2008

I think the title says it all...

Grandma is over 70, and has no clue how to use a computer, much less buy one. I can teach her to use it, but I can't figure out what to buy her. I figure that since she will be using this to send and receive emails, and do a little online shopping, that it can be very low-end...

But where do I go to buy a low-end computer?

example:
1 GHz CPU
256 MB RAM
40 GB Hard Drive
minimal graphics card
but also with:
large screen
light weight

Is there an alternative to a standard computer that would fulfill the need to use the internet and have a large screen? I could give her a PDA if I knew she had good eyesight and could hit the little buttons, but she can't.

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

nosharpe 14:10 25 Jul 2008

I'd get her a laptop if I were you.

MikeBEcho 14:14 25 Jul 2008

Yes, that was what I was thinking...

I can't find anything practical though. The big companies only sell high-end computers. I find them so very frustrating!

nosharpe 14:19 25 Jul 2008

What's your budget?

GaT7 14:59 25 Jul 2008

Many relatively inexpensive laptop options....

Ask friends & work colleagues - someone may have an old unused one that he/she may be willing to give away for free.

Consider a refurb/secondhand laptop - many cheap ones can be had on eBay for example. Auction, sorted by cheapest first click here. Buy-it now search £50-100 click here.

Also check here click here & click here, & at PCWorld, Dixons, Currys, etc - they do good refurb laptop deals starting at £200 from to time to time.

There's the Asus EEE range starting at ~£180 click here.

For ~£260 you can get a brand new regular-sized 15" Dell Vostro 1000 click here. Btw, this Medion 15" click here was only £225 (with a 10&% voucher) the other day - now unavailable. G

€dstowe 15:05 25 Jul 2008

In my experience "older" people quickly become very adept at using a computer and a low end, low spec model is not going to suit her for very long. I know an old guy, over 80, who is EXTREMELY keen on gaming and has had a quite expensive top of the range machine built for him. I'm not saying your Granny is going to become a gaming addict but don't think she will sit there plodding away at a few shopping lists either.

interzone55 17:10 25 Jul 2008

you don't need to get a new PC if your demands are low.

Big Pockets had some cheap low-end computers earlier this week. Or you could try Morgan Computers, they always have refurbished ex-business PCs

click here
click here

silverous 18:59 25 Jul 2008

How about a second hand one off e-bay? My in-laws are getting rid of their basic compaq machine with a small flat screen and general consensus on here was that it was worth about 50 pounds, hardly used. You could get something like that I would have thought ? Any more at this stage may be a waste as she may not get on with it or may lose interest?

peter99co 22:05 25 Jul 2008

Makro are having a Laptop Clearance Sale from 9.30 on Sat 2nd Aug until Tuesday Aug 12th.

Toshiba,Fugitsu,HP,Acer,Samsung,Sony. from £199 to £299

And I can't get to it :-(

wee eddie 22:08 25 Jul 2008

I would get her the simplest of the Macs

silverous 22:24 25 Jul 2008

Isn't a Mac also a Personal Computer? I certainly didn't think this was a PC only forum. In any case getting her a Mac simply reduces the number of people who can likely help her with it as unless she has a family of designers (although I accept Macs are more widespread now) then it is unlikely they will be familiar with Macs to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone