I need Advice on purchase of a Combined Printer

Paul J 13:14 20 Dec 2003

I am cosidering changing to a combined printer scaner copier. can any one offer opinions or assitance?

bfoc 13:44 20 Dec 2003

Of 3 different types, all at the budget end (£60-£90).

One daughter has a HP model (no longer available), my other daughter a Lexmark (1150) and I've just installed an Epson (CX3200) for a friend.

All offer convenience, some space saving (the HP and Lexmark the most!) and real convenience.

The Epson is the biggest, by far, but does produce good photo output and the software seemed very straightforward. It took two goes to install, but then worked fine. It can also copy without the computer being switched on, which might be useful.

The lexmarx looks pretty good, is not too big, was very cheap and has worked well. It needs the computer being on to copy. The output looks good too and it is pretty fast for B&W text. It installed first time and the software is good, although I would prefer the Epson.

Th HP has been going almost a year with no problems and was straightforward to install, is very neat and can copy without the computer being on.

Since all are colour inkjets the cartridges can be expensive if a lot of printing is done. If you only need B&W then do look at All-in-one laser printer based solutions.

Also none of the above has a 'stand alone' fax option, which you might want, in which case your budget will need to be around £130+.

With any all-in-one solution you do run the risk of any problems in one part meaning the whole assembly is useless and also, generally, the quality of an all-in-one will be less than the best single units. But many people find the advantages of ease and space outweight that.

Paul J 13:57 20 Dec 2003

Thank you bfoc, did you find that the cost of the cartidges was greatly different from the average cost of a single unit's ?
I currently have a HP 690C & the cost of cartridges are circa £20.

bentley 15:29 20 Dec 2003

Have you tried refilling your cartridges ,much cheaper, i have been refiling for about a year
with no problems.
Bentley

bentley 15:39 20 Dec 2003

I also have a Lexmark x 74 printer, all in one.consisting of printer,scanner,copier,fax.While not state of the art .it meets my needs,costs about £50

wee eddie 15:44 20 Dec 2003

This can frequently exceed the Capital Outlay within the first few 100 pages.

If you are using an "All in One" the risks of failure due to 3rd Party Cartridges may be considered too high.

There is an earlier thread, I think Epson, concerning an All in One that will not function without ink.

bfoc 19:09 20 Dec 2003

Believe that All-in-Ones cartridges are more expensive that equivalent inkjets. It is just that inkjets cost considerably more than lasers to run.

wee eddie is right their was a thread about an A-I-O which (the Epson CX3200)would not scan even though it had a cartridge in. The replacement cart was third party and the printer saw this as an 'error'. How frequent this is I really can't say.

But if you do a lot of B&W printing looking at a laser AIO will save money in the long run.

BeeWee 11:37 21 Dec 2003

i bought an hp 1205 all in one from amazon. it cost me 84 pounds and has been worth every penny. i did a lot of research before buying this model and found amazon to be the cheapest as they were offering free delivery at the time!

spuds 11:51 21 Dec 2003

I use two all-in-ones,a Lexmark X5150 and a HP590 OfficeJet. Both a great machines and I cannot fault either. The HP is now a veteran at 6 plus years old, and still chugging along with no problems. The Lexmark is a recent purchase, only four/five months old, and so far very good results.This was a swap-out for the Lexmark X85.

I use compatibles and refill cartridges on the HP590,and originals on the Lexmark. If you shop around, you can get some very good buys with cartridges from various sources.

A number of people will state that they would not consider all-in-ones for possible breakdown reasons,one fails everything fails. But I have never had this problem,so far.

A15 15:27 21 Dec 2003

I have a Brother MFC-890, which I have found to be excellent. It's not the cheapest model on the market, but I found the higher price to bewell worth it. The Brother is a four cartridge machine, one black, one moagenta, one cyan & one yellow.

The consumables are very reasonable. A double size black is around £15 & the three colours are around £10 each, for the original manufacturer cartridges.

This is a 6 in 1 machine which, colour prints & copies, colour scans, Plain paper colour fax, Photocapture centre & PC fax. It has 8mb on board memory & has an auto document feeder for 30 sheets. Print speed is 15 pages per minute for black & white & 12 pages per minute for colour. The machine also has usb & parrallell connections. For more info click here

I have not had any cause to complain or had any niggles with this machine. I hope this info helps you.

Paul J 18:15 21 Dec 2003

Where would you suggest that I purchase a AIO a local store or The Net ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone