i-friend computers sold via Safeways

drmac 20:44 16 Jan 2003
  drmac 20:44 16 Jan 2003

Hi, Safeways are selling cheap computers supplied by ifriendpc.co.uk. The brief spec is: Itel Pentium2ghzCPU, 256mb RAM, 40gbhard drive, 16x DVD drive, 56k modem, PS/2keyboard, speakers, with Windows XP and Works 2000, and a 17" monitor. Price £400.

Anyone heard of these guys, and is this good value.

Cheers,

Niel.

rickf 20:58 16 Jan 2003

Do you mean a P4 2ghz cpu etc? If yes, then its very good value. The cpu alone is retailing still around £130.

dugie 22:58 16 Jan 2003

i buy my beans at safeway, my mechanic services my car and if i get sick i go to the doctor. why buy a computer from a food shop? you can get just as good a deal from a proper computer shop, then if you have a problem you can ask a human being for assistance.

Tim1964 23:05 16 Jan 2003

dugie,
I bought my PC from Tescos, at least if you have a problem you have absolutely no trouble returning it for a refund, unlike mail order AND the store will still be there in the morning....Just ask the customers of TINY (oh then again.....)

Drmac,

Is this available to see online?

Thanks,

Tim.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:16 17 Jan 2003

'why buy a computer from a food shop? you can get just as good a deal from a proper computer shop'...dream on.

G

ricvic 10:44 17 Jan 2003

Sadly this is last weeks offer. My local Safeway stated that the price went up £100 this week. Shame - I have no hang up about where I get equipment from & am in the market for a budget PC for immediate delivery.

les-257929 12:18 17 Jan 2003

ricvic;- try plugnplaypc.co.uk they can drive acaggiage &4 horses through safeways offer.

Stuartli 12:48 17 Jan 2003

Safeway operate a similar refund policy to Tesco - any problems and a refund without question.

Ironically it sells a cheap DVD player that Which? recently awarded its Best Bargain Buy from a comprehensive range of players on test.

Elrond 12:48 17 Jan 2003

You're assuming that Safeway hasn't one employee with a decent amount of PC knowhow. I work at Safeway and will gladly offer my pc knowledge if a customer comes back with a query.

Stuartli 12:49 17 Jan 2003

You have to buy the monitor separately from the system, but you can't buy the monitor on its own...:-)

So it might not be as cheap a system as it first appears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?