I feal miffed for him...........

jack 13:49 15 Mar 2008

A neighbour was given a PC by his son and left to get on with it
So i have been helping him out here and there.
He wanted to go on the Internet ,so I suggested he went dial-up to try and only go broadband when ready and if he wanted to.
So he decided- yup Broadband and signed up with Tiscali.
Here the 'fun' started from day 1.
He called me and said he had got the installation package but the 'box' would not plug into his computer.
When I took a look-see it turned out that all though the packing shipping note listed a USB Modem- the item received was in fact an Ethernet version
No good at all - Having spent time E-mailing support and hanging onto the 0870 number and getting nowhere, he has had an Ethernet card fitted.
I feel 'miffed' for him because this is an additional expense to be met simply because the provider did not comply and is not replying to requests to put right.

What would you do in the circumstances?

ray7 14:04 15 Mar 2008

Don't phone the 0870 number. Try an alternative.click here

This gives tel no. 01438 363171 for 'High Level Complaints' Might be worth a try to obtain some form of reimbursement.

MAJ 19:32 15 Mar 2008

Tiscali don't do USB modems anymore, jack, only ethernet models, I think they do say that somewhere on the site. Etherway, he's picked a terrible provider to go with. Their customer service (Asian) is atrocious.

Stuartli 20:08 15 Mar 2008

...and expensive for dial-up customers.

jack 15:21 16 Mar 2008

Oh dear poor chap - I'll await developments

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?